ad: elecraft

Are you active in NPOTA? Are you looking for a free awards park program when it ends in 2016?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W3AAX, Nov 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W3AAX

W3AAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you aware of the WWFF (World Wide Flora and Fauna)? It entails activating nature parks just like the ARRL's National Parks On The Air program. Lots of parks of the United States already have reference numbers (designators) for the WWFF. I just finished adding all standard state parks of the United States to our program as well.

Please take a look at my site at http://www.wwff-kff.com.

The WWFF has developed a cross reference list with NPOTA, so an activator can get credit for both programs!
    Here is the link to list :
    http://wwff-kff.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NPOTA_WWFF_new_crosslist.pdf
    You can obtain many awards by chasing and activating WWFF reference numbers (parks).

We're even running a WWFF cluster : http://wwff.co/dx-cluster/

To spot yourself, go to http://www.dxsummit.fi/ and in the "info" box, please be sure to enter "WWFF KFF-XXXX", replacing the X's with the entity's reference number.

Please send your WWFF KFF activations logs in .ADIF format to me at:w3aax@outlook.com.

[​IMG]
    Coordinator - W3AAX - Jason Johnston

KZ6TOD likes this.
  2. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool, this certainly opens up more possibilities (and some of the sites on both lists count for IOTA as well).

It's a little off topic but if you are a US citizen or permanent resident and at least 62, for just $10 you can get a lifetime Senior Pass for day use at NPS sites. This includes entry for up to 4 adults per car. It also provides discounts on some NPS-provided services. This is a good deal for older activators!

WJ4U and K6FNI like this.
  3. W3AAX

Thanks for the comment OM. Also, that's good news about the pass. Unfortunately, I cannot take advantage of that for 21 years =( =). Can't wait to retire though so I can get out there more in the field! =D

73 44 W3AAX Jason

4. K9ROD

K9ROD Ham Member QRZ Page

NPS passes are free to any Disabled Veterans with a permanent disability and all active duty military and their spouses. Thank you NPS.

K3RW likes this.
  5. W3AAX

Roger that. Everyday should be Veteran's Day. I hope everyone is having a nice holiday.

I am visiting the Assateague area of MD near Ocean City. I will attempt to activate Assateague State Park KFF-1559 (which also counts for NPOTA as SS01) tomorrow about 20:00Z 11/12 after lunch. Hope to see some of you on the air! 73 44 W3AAX

6. K2FI

K2FI Ham Member QRZ Page

Ooooh. This looks right up my alley!

KG7VTO likes this.
  7. W3AAX

Glad to hear it OM. If you have any questions at all, please shoot me an e-mail. 73 44 W3AAX

8. KM4PHI

KM4PHI Ham Member QRZ Page

I was hoping that someone would come along with something like this. I have really enjoyed the NPOTA events more than I can say and was sad to think that they would end this year. Many Kudos!

9. W3AAX

Thanks for the support. I have to thank Sean Kutzko and Norm Fusaro for running a more than successful ARRL NPOTA program because it enables programs like ours to get up and running and continue their success.

Also, this isn't possible without WWFF staff like ON4VT (Danny) getting the word out, and M0YMA (Andrew) doing ALL the tech/databases behind the scenes as well.

73 44 W3AAX

10. W3AAX

11. W3AAX

To simplify the name and promotion, I have purchased the parksontheair.com domain since pota with all suffixes were already taken. Please feel free to point interested OMs and YLs to http://www.parksontheair.com. It still remains part of the international World Wide Flora and Fauna network. Thanks everyone. 73 44 W3AAX

12. K7NIK

K7NIK Ham Member QRZ Page

A FEW YEARS WAS TRAVELING THROUGH YELLOWSTONE AND WAS STOPPED AT A GATE BUT DIDN'T HAVE MY PASS WITH ME, BUT TOLD THE PARK RANGER THAT I HAD A PASS BUT FORGOT IT AT HOME, AND HE LET ME GO ON MY BACK TO MY HOME IN IDAHO. I NOW CARRY IT IN MY WALLET.

13. W3AAX

14. W2JBL

W2JBL Ham Member QRZ Page

Just what we need- another year long contest to piss everybody off. You guys have no idea how much damage the pop-up pileups on the bands the NPOA ops caused.

15. W3AAX

Wow, first off, this has been a permanent international program since 1983. Secondly, we do not cause any more QRM than the hundreds of "nets" I seem to run into whenever I do anything on the radio. I hate nets, but they have every right to be on the air, just as much as anyone else.

A lot of us are also chasing DX, which I know a ton of American operators do, which causes massive pileups. Is that an issue with you as well? What do you like to do on the radio, just ragchew? Everyone has their niche, and everyone should be able to have fun in their own way. This is why the FCC states that no one owns a frequency. I had to deal with sweepstakes this week, but you don't see me complaining unless I get the usual splatter and so-called operators not checking to see if a frequency is in use.

Just my 2 cents OM. 73 W3AAX