Are You A Beekeeper?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KN4LGM, Aug 5, 2020.

Tags:
?

Do you keep bees? If so how many hives?

1. No I do not keep bees.

2. I have 1 hives.

3. I have 2 hives.

4. I have 3-5 hives.

5. I have 5-10 hives.

6. I have 10-15 hives.

7. I have 15-20 hives.

8. I have 20-30 hives.

9. I have 30-50 hives.

10. I have 50+ hives.

Results are only viewable after voting.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. KN4LGM

KN4LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am curious about how many hams are beekeepers. I have 1 hive.

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm just a wanna-bee. ;)

KA2CZU, PU2OZT and KN4LGM like this.
  3. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Beehives is the first thing I settle when out of town, in the middle of nowhere, up in a mountain. Sure, depends on which flowers grows there. Afterwards goes the antenna.
    [​IMG]

K1LKP likes this.
  4. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Two bee or not two bee-----
    TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

KA2CZU likes this.
  5. KC8RLU

KC8RLU Ham Member QRZ Page

Bees are awesome. So many positives to having them in our world. So don't mess with them! Bee kind!

6. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I keep them a good distance from me. Does that count?

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Let it bee. Let it bee. Whisper words of wisdom, let it bee

Dave
    W7UUU

WC5P and KA2CZU like this.
  8. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My grandfather-in-law was a beekeeper and respected bee expert in South Texas. Back in the 90's he received a call from a rancher that suspected killer bees were swarming around his pecan trees. (Big killer bee scare in Texas back then.) We drove over and pop stayed by my truck with the rancher. He said "Boy, you go yonder by the trees and stay still there until I call you." I went over and stood there about 5 minutes before he called me back. The rancher asked "Well, are they killer bees?" Pop said "Nope. If they were, my grandson wouldn't have waited for me to call him back." :eek:

9. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

10. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't respond to the survey, because at one time, Heidi and I had 8 hives. 2 or 3 here and another 4 or 5 located at 2 different pumpkin patches in town.
    Heidi got sensitive to the stings and started to have severe swelling on the randow occasion she was stung, which took away a lot of the enjoyment.
    We could never predict if the bees would survive the winter, but typically, we would lose 50% of the colonies.
    The price of a package went to almost $125, we had to order in February and they didn't arrive until around Easter, so we never really knew how many packages we needed to recolonize a dead hive, because we couldn't open the hive until spring.
    The final year, we had rebuilt 4 hives at almost $500, 3 of them swarmed and the remaining hive died over the winter.
    New England is a tough spot for beekeeping, but I had had enough and we called it quits. The amount of honey we extracted never quite covered the cost of bees and supplies.

If bees made chocolate, I think I'd have tried harder.

KC1DR, PU2OZT and VE3CGA like this.