Are we channelized???

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K5TSK, Apr 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Digital readouts feed into some kind of obsessive compulsive desire to have whole numbers showing for a frequency and worse on phone, the operators with modern rigs like whole number kc frequencies that are divisible by 5 with no remainders. The cure is to get a rig with an old VFO like a HA-5 that has 50 kc dial resolution and a HRO receiver (where am I?) and watch these folks panic over not knowing exactly where they are. What really matters is not being on top of someone else, and not being out of the band or sub-band for mode and license (if U.S. ham).

WD4IGX and N8AFT like this.
  2. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's even worse than I thought: every transceiver and amplifier I can find on DX Engineering is now a whole number multiple of 100 Watts!

WR2E likes this.
  3. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For some yet unfathomed reason, I spend a lot of time listening on the SKCC 'bands'. Since the numbers just keep incrementing daily, there are more and more new members, 'new to cw' members, that are trying to crowd into the 'band'. Then you add SSB and digital 'encroachment' into our beloved SKCC 'bands' and the .000 effect becomes even more acute. At normal SKCC speeds, a CW signal is only a few cycles wide, but much wider when your receiver passband is set to 1500 cycles or such.
    Imagine a world where all SKCC members thought that a signal would still 'get out', if the digital readout was somewhere in between the .000s. A world where all would have their narrow filters on and listened. It's possible more than 4 or 5 QSOs could go on at any one time on any one 'band'. Maybe more QRP or QRPp would be heard. Dunno.

Not picking on SKCC. Love them.

It's just the place I hang out, and when listening to a limited set of frequencies, the problem is more noticeable.

N8AFT likes this.
  4. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

yeah, this is a weird phenomenon that I don't buy into. I just find a clear spot and start calling CQ. I find said spot by either looking at the bandscope and putting myself between two signals or tuning by ear and placing myself outside the other station's bandwidth. I always run with a narrow filter so I can tell when someone obsessive about even freqs call me b/c I can hear them plinking away at the edges of my narrow bandwidth - I noticed this a few times during this past weekends GA QSO Party. For the most part, CW ops seem to operate where they want to with full awareness of and the ability to use their VFO.

SSB operators are a much different story. I'll get on SSB every once in awhile and PURPOSELY choose an odd frequency like 7.219.333 -- in almost every operating session, someone will call me on 7.219.25 or 7.219.50 and tell me I am off frequency to which I always respond, "I am calling on 7.219.333, you're the one off frequency." Somtimes they chuckle and sometimes they get pissy. One guy called me just to tell me that I must have RiT or XiT turned on and didnt know it . . .

5. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

See what they say when u run a USB net on their 80m!
    It works just fine as it would but the bubbas can't paly that a way I guess... the PBR Friday nite crowd does get a bit testy, hi. :p

6. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

...nope
    If I'm calling, I'm on frequency.
    If I'm answering I'm on their frequency.
    When joining a 'table or net it's an average.

K3UJ and WD4IGX like this.
  7. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's different. They do that to charge (very nearly) a dollar (or Euro or whatever currency) more than the buyer will psychologically feel like the price actually is.

This won't make sense in places were sales/VAT tax is included on the price tag but I used to hang out at a game shop (role playing and board games) back in the 80s where all the prices were very odd, never .95 or .99 but .93 or something like that. Turned out the owner just hated dealing with pennies and adjusted his prices so the total price, with sales tax, avoided having to give pennies as change and always ended in a multiple of .05.

8. WD4IGX

Yahbut... we're not talking about $1.99 vs $2.00. In gasoline it's $1.999 vs $2.00. We don't even have a one tenth cent coin (thank goodness.)

9. WD4IGX

Why on earth would you put 10.1176543 in your log even if that was the frequency?

Half the time I just put "30 meters." I might put 10.12 but I never go finer than the nearest khz. There's just no reason whatsoever to do so, it serves no purpose, it's meaningless empty non-precision, and besides I've been licensed since 1977 and I never had a rig with a digital readout anyway until the last few years.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Wasn't the .9 cent originally the Tax ?