Are we channelized???

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K5TSK, Apr 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Being on a even frequency is a norm.

Being on a odd frequency is very odd.

2. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

The OCD or "control freak" aspects of being on frequencies ending by .00 or .000 should not be underestimated.

For how could otherwise someone calling an SSB CQ on some more random frequency
    be accused of "being off frequency"?

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    K3XR likes this.
  3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Exact Frequencies to Dial to.
    A lot of clubs have "watering hole" freqs (they used to be called calling freqs but that hurts feelings) Like the FISTS freqs ending in 058, SKCC has been using 1813.50, 3550.0, 7055.0, 7120.0, 10120.0, 14050.0...Etc, Etc. It's just Easier to find someone in your group, when there is an Exact freq to call on and listen to.
    IMHO !

4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

"It's just Easier to find someone in your group, when there is an Exact freq to call on and listen to."

Of course, it is and has been going on long before digital dials but that's not the same as day to day routine calling and answering a CQ which has nothing to do with being on an "even" frequency.

"A lot of clubs have "watering hole" freqs (they used to be called calling freqs but that hurts feelings)"

Got me with that one. "Hurt Feelings"...how so?

WD4IGX likes this.
  5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably something we're just gonna have to get used to I'm afraid.

6. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm proud this thread has gotten back to CQs and frequencies. Thought for a bit we were going to have Rorschach ink blots next. Not necessarily so on the 'having to get used to it'.
    Someone could start a club. Free membership. Awards for confirmed QSOs which occured on 'odd' frequencies. CW awards, SSB awards, you name it. Might have possibilities.

WR2E likes this.
  7. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The worst part about it is, if there is even just a couple of hundred hz difference between two stations, the "filter between the ears" can separate them (although it is of course much more pleasant to have a QSO where there is enough frequency difference to sort it out with an acutal filter). However, when everyone is on the same frequency to within ten hz or so, it gets hard to separate everybody.

8. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's probably the same reason why recipes set the oven to a multiple of 25 degrees F.

WR2E likes this.
  9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Everything cooks at 350 F.

10. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

350 is in the SSB portion, I was talking CW.