Are we channelized???

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K5TSK, Apr 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K5TSK

K5TSK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been listening again this morning on 40 CW, 7030-7060 and I'm seeing a familiar pattern. One frequency with the 300 khz filter on, and two guys calling CQ at exactly the same time. More than once, more than one frequency. Usually on a frequency ending in a digit and 000. 7051000, 7031000, etc.
    I use the digital readout and also the little zero indicator on my Yaesu to help peak a signal in the bandwidth I'm using. It's a bit of comfort trying to zero beat or close, but what's wrong with calling CQ on 7131368 or 7054735???

2. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Since I run 100% analog gear, much of it with painted-on dial markings and no easy, quick means to re-calibrate, exact frequency is an unknown thing to me. Doesn't bother me. However, I suspect it greatly bothers at least a few other OPs.

3. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think by now, most of us who operate on HF have noticed the trend of some operators to park on frequencies ending in even numbers. It's an unintended consequence of having all these cool digital displays. Combine that with human nature and this is what you get.

Soon enough, the experts will chime in telling us all about how this type of behavior is caused by some folks being exposed to channelized operation on another service. They may be right. But... Folks coming in from that service are probably the minority by now. There are too many folks doing the even number thing to be accounted for if the other service was the cause.

When I operate on HF, I deliberately set my frequency to some weird splinter frequency just to see if someone will come by and tell me I'm "off frequency" So far it has not happened. Zero beating is sometimes a lost art. Think about it: if we all sit on even number frequencies, no one has to actually tune that much. Maybe the even number thing is just simple laziness?

Could be. That would explain a lot.

WD4IGX and NE1U like this.
  4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems most seasoned ops have a hard time figuring out all the fancy controls on these new do-it-all transceivers...
    I suspect many have no clue how to Zero Beat using the "new" techniques illustrated in their owner's manual.
    Doubt those pages are read.
    I worked a fellow who was 10kHz off after he answered my CQ. I figured he had his RIT or his XIT mis-adjusted without knowing it, so I just played along but we were indeed hogging spectrum needlessly.
    XTAL and analog VFO rigs are fine by me and yes, I too find guys telling me I am "Off Freq" when I'm using a XTAL.
    Pays to read the book guys....

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.

K8AI, KE4OH and WG7X like this.
  5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

We have had the zero ending frequency discussion a number of times in other threads. Still waiting to hear a valid reason why anyone with a VFO controlled rig would think they could only operate on a frequency ending in zero for routine day to day communications. In the case of 40 meter CW, it could be that many of the crystal controlled QRP rigs (crystals) end in an even frequency.

WD4IGX likes this.
  6. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Point of view from a newbie that has never used an analog dial to tune a QSO....

I select a freq (typically) that ends in .00 or .25 or .50 or .75. Why.... dunno. Probably for the same reason I have some weird math obsession with irrational numbers. If I am trying for a sked on SKCC, etc. it just makes it easier to type/read.

But... on the receive side it does make it easier for me to do a quick tune when I see what looks like a CQ on the band scope if I assume the OP is on .00 or .25 or .50 or .75. (which they typically are).

WG7X and ND6M like this.
  7. K5TSK

K5TSK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am as guilty as any I guess. Yes, for a brief time in the early 70's I did have a CB and used it on cross Arkansas work trips. But I think it's just the idea of having a rig tell you that it's accurate enough to give you the 000, whether it's lie ing or not. With the skip now it's not a mark of being a lid, it's just you probably don't hear the other guy at all. By hitting the 'off' frequencies you just minimize the odds of two being at the exact same place. When I hear two guys calling CQ on the same frequency, or even one calling CQ and someone else calling QRZ, which happens a lot also, I'm not answering either. Not much point.

And I must say that you CW folks are some kind gentle people. No one reminded me I had typed 300khz for my CW filter.

WD4IGX and WG7X like this.
  8. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

An irrational obsession with even numbers is a major cultural trait. Not just ham radio. Reflects the nature and
    prevalence of digital readouts and the assumption that anything "digital" is superior to anything "analog."

Similar: SWR "must be" 1:1. That 1:1 is "resonant." That resonance is required for antennas to work well.

Essentially a failure to experience many things in a rich way. An assumption that anything with "smart" in
    its nomenclature is better. Can simply reflect superficial understanding.

Yes, I know I can tune an SSB signal best and quickest when I assume that the frequency designation has no
    fractional component. But I can tune a CW signal quickest simply by matching audio tones. And I can
    choose a transmitting frequency anywhere where I hear there is an opening.

I could go on: the hands on my wristwatch tell me the time instantly, with an instant recognition of how much
    time I have left before something else needs to be attended to. How much gas is left in my car. I don't need a digital
    readout to tell me when I'm hungry, either, but I'm sure there is some gadget out there for that purpose.

I won't comment on the digitization of academic performance: the enormous meaninglessness
    of the "grade point average."

WG7X and K3XR like this.
  9. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Tell this to salespeople.

Most prices tend to end in .95 or .99 ...

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

K7MH and W1TRY like this.
  10. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

When digital VOMs first came out engineer & techs productivity dropped substantially. Getting all zeros was not just a thing, it was the thing.

It's in our DNA like getting to nearest $0.10 on the gas pump. On radio, I have broken that habit by tuning with my fingertip on a touch screen.:rolleyes: