ad: GNOHF-1

Are we being "updated" into oblivion?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6DDJ, Dec 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just wish I could find a way to bring some of you over to Linux-land. It's a much happier place, all things considered. :D

No, we don't use HRD (that's a feature, not a bug), but it's a better experience without it. ;)

2. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Been there and done that. They just don't have the software titles and what's there is old stuff. And for the record...I couldn't unpack WSJT-x (it failed every attempt). I like Ubuntu Mate.

KC8VWM likes this.
  3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe in the best tool for the job, and run Linux, Windows, OSX, and Android on my regularly used devices. For a ham radio computer, I find that Windows has been the best choice due to the amount of relevant software. YMMV.

I can run "apt-get update" and there's something new just about every 12 hours or so... so it's not like Linux is immune to the update issue! But updates are GOOD, most of the time.

W4RAV and KD4IEM like this.
  4. KK5JY

Maybe you aren't looking in the same places I am? :eek: I'm running WSJT-X on several machines, with the latest hamlib, same for fldigi, freedv, etc. :)
    Linux forces you to run apt-get upgrade every 12h?? :eek: Or even once per week??

5. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I downloaded from the Princeton site, and tried many times to unpack and it failed every time. I can't get my Logbook program (Log4OM) for Linux, or JTAlert, Antscope for my analyzer, Orbitron for satellites, or N3FJP contest software. Its just too much missing. :oops:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it doesn't force anything. Where was anyone discussing forced updates? I said, "I can run..."

My point is that ANY modern OS needs updating on a regular basis.

KD0XL and W4RAV like this.
  7. KK5JY

It's actually what started the thread. :)

If it communicates with networks, yes. Not all OSs force you to do those updates, however.

8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I just re-read the OP, there is nothing about forced updates.

I work on a several thousand node government network - fully private and isolated from the Internet. We push updates every month.

W4RAV likes this.
  9. KK5JY

It's Windows. The current version thereof makes updates mandatory whenever connected to a network. It was an update that broke his machine.
    There are all kinds of job security. :)

10. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I do know how to do it, I just don't recommend it for most people because doing so can cause its own issues. Or at least I didn't until the last few updates from MS that borked the file handling system and other things. The 1809 update was a fiasco, frankly.

If you're running Win10 Home edition the only simple option you have is to switch your internet setting to "metered" to prevent MS from pushing updates to you. But that only works if you're using WiFi. If you aren't, you have to edit the registry, something I don't recommend to people unless they know what they're doing.

If you're using Win10Pro the only option you have is to run gpedit.msc and change the group policies to stop the automatic updates. The Enterprise version gives you more extensive and easier to implement options.

As you said, people can dig up the details on the net. Frankly if 90% of the software I ran didn't depend on Windows, I'd have jumped ship for Linux long ago.