Are we being "updated" into oblivion?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6DDJ, Dec 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I never willingly accept updates, often cause more problems than they fix.
    If it works don't fix it.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Updates are fixing something.

Although it does happen, very few MS updates are a problem to the masses.
    If updates are breaking your machine, there's likely to be other issues.

WU8Y and KD4IEM like this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's great, but I think the OP's point was that so much of what he uses won't run (or run properly) on M$ operating systems.

4. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

And we're giving him plenty of anecdotes and advice. If you're one of the few having problems, it's probably you. (not necessarily YOU dear reader)

5. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's just it Matt...its not the OS.o_O

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, very polite updates and upgrades. The only time Apple forced an update was for a bad security bug. The only time I've had even a potential issue with an OS X update or upgrade was when they started requiring signed device drivers for security reasons. The programs I use released updates ahead of time with the signed drivers so it was no problem.

As was said above, don't run old obsolete software and all should be well with any operating system, assuming they didn't have some sort of bug with the update release. Oops, MS had that happen recently...

And, I just had my Win10 light-blue screen of near death say it was backing out an update due to a problem! Of course I have no idea what the heck it tried to do, since it happened unattended, and there is nothing in the notifications about it. Good grief.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  7. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So when I left work the evening of the weekly updates, and left a working Win10 PC behind, and then came back the next day to a broken machine due to updates, it was due to operator error? My mistake was rebooting the PC? Or leaving work?

Or was it trusting M$ not to brick my PC with mandatory untested updates... :oops:

KC8VWM, ND6M and N0TZU like this.
  8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It was all three of course.

KD0XL and KK5JY like this.
  9. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't say that. I think HIS problem is a virus or malware, not the OS. I use Win10 and have zero failures as he describes. Dave (W7UUU) has zero. Your issue was totally different ( a failure during an update ) and is an anomaly. You made no mistake. :)

10. KC1HLU

KC1HLU Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of the MS Win10 updates have indeed caused unintended problems. I used to do MS Windows support as well as beta testing (I no longer do either) but am still tied in with folks that continue in that field. I have seen reports from some of them about various problems. Said problems don't seem to affect everyone the same way (different hardware and software configurations likely?). Suddenly my default printer won't print double sided even though every setting is set to double-sided . . . it just happened. My Wife's computer suddenly wouldn't let her access MS Outlook (all other MS Office apps work fine) and when I tried to rebuild her Email file for her, it now requires my password for her to access it and dumps any attachments into folders that require my password. This literally happened one morning when she powered it up. No reasonable explanation.

ETA: And before anyone suggests it's malware/virus related issues. We run AV, anti-malware and firewall software on all machines. I've tested and found no issues related to these potential problems.