Are we being "updated" into oblivion?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6DDJ, Dec 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't pay KY5U much attention... He's just here because he's run out of fresh FT8 threads to troll.

NK2U, N1DQQ, WA4BCS and 3 others like this.
  2. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the same issues, and I suspect a lot of people do. Broken drivers, software that stops working, odd error messages... It's gotten to the point where I dread any kind of update from MS. But to be fair the same thing happens with my Apple equipment whenever they issue updates for IOS or OSX.

Of course this isn't always the fault of the maker of the OS. It's impossible for them to fully test every single configuration, every single hardware device, every single piece of third party software, that people are running on their systems.

At least with my Apple equipment the updates aren't mandatory. I don't have to install them and can put it off until I can determine whether or not it's going to cause problems. That doesn't seem to be the case with Windows. If you're running Win10 Home or Win10 Pro you don't seem to have much choice. Only the Enterprise version of the OS seems to give you control over how updates are actually applied.

N0TZU likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Never an issue here whatsoever - 15+ Win10 computers in home/shack/office. All purr along with zero issues.

Maybe I just don't use stuff that "updates will break" - I don't really know - other than nothing in my Win10 world ever has trouble.

Just a data point

Dave
    W7UUU

WA4BCS, N5XH, KD4IEM and 1 other person like this.
  4. W4RAV

Google will correct that assumption. You can disable updates on all versions of Win10.
    (If you already know your way around... Services, Windows Update, Disable.)

Oh, not that I recommend disabling updates, but if it's REALLY causing ya problems, ya gotta do whatcha gotta do.

5. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just realized that your ULS location is less than 25 statute miles from Microsoft HQ... :D

KD4IEM likes this.
  6. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll say again. Virus or Malware. Dave you just don't have any.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

And I spend a lot of time on MS campus in Redmond... hmmm.... maybe I get sprayed with "protective coatings" every time I walk in the building :D

Dave
    W7UUU

W5BIB and KK5JY like this.
  8. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Teflon ;) :D

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

WHY are we supposedly relying upon "Microshaft"? Did our radios work ONLY after the latest "upchuck:? [er, I mean update.?) If MS contro;s ALL of our operations, via computer, we ARE doomed.

Conscuientious knowledge WILL be absorbed. You

10. W4RAV

Answering only for myself, it's because SO much of what I use won't run (or run properly) on other operating systems.

Also, if you want to take full advantage of modern hardware, you typically need modern software.
    (Multi-core, Crossfire video cards, terabyte hard-drives, HD resolutions, USB3, Flexradio, etc. etc.)