Are we being "updated" into oblivion?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6DDJ, Dec 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You make a BIG assumption: that MS actually tries to work out bugs.:mad::rolleyes: (Actually they DO, but only if a "bug fix" introduces at least two new bugs.

2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you seen the movie "Brazil". I thought it was prophetic.
    And we await self driving cars? I can just see vehicle accidents being blamed on software updates.

There is a fantastic scene in the movie where two repair guys drop a pre-engineered floor patch down to the floor below on top of people. One workman looks at the other and says..."Must have gone metric?"

3. WB9QLR

WB9QLR Ham Member QRZ Page

It's in the nature of software upgrades that a new build comes out that the vendor says will "Solve all your problems!" What they often don't tell you is that you trade in the old familiar bugs for a whole collection of brand new ones. I've been in the software business at one level or another since 1981, and this situation has not changed. This, unfortunately, says volumes about the lack of institutional learning in software development.

4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure have! Multiple times. Beware of edited versions.

And you were right: it was indeed prophetic!

5. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, I have heard more than one train being held up because the PTC system got stuck while running an update. Sometimes they keep the train stopped until the problem can be fixed by a tech, and sometimes they just run the train without PTC to the next major yard. It's solid entertainment listening to a conductor working with a remote tech on the radio trying to diagnose a broken PTC on a train that is stuck in the middle of nowhere. ;)

Automated vehicle control being messed up by broken update processes is already here... today. :eek:

6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hence the more and more frequently used expression "What could possibly go wrong?"

7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

No problem. Just install Windows 8... :p

Seriously, one alternative to consider would be to set up a small Virtual Machine on your PC running Win 7. Then just install updates from the VM, at least until the issue gets resolved, one way or another.

Only open the VM when you need to do something. Otherwise leave it shut down. That avoids most issues, if not all, WRT missing updates and security holes.

WZ7U likes this.