Are we being "updated" into oblivion?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6DDJ, Dec 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed. I tried saying something nice about FT8 (which I admit, is somewhat out of character for me) earlier in the thread, and the post was immediately grumped at. ;)

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course not. Throwing it out and installing XP is being ridiculous.

Many of us are not having the problems described. So, is it a Win10 issue, or a hardware issue, malware, configuration, user error, etc? Is it an upgrade machine with 10 years of crap, or a clean install? Are there drivers from last Century because someone is trying to run a 25 year old printer, scanner, whatever? Pirated software?

Naw, the default position is it's a Win10 problem. Maybe it is, but I have been running Win10, Win Server 2016, SQL2016, and lots of other MS stuff, and just like the Nginx, Ubuntu, Redhat and other OS's I run, usually when something isn't working right, it because of me - something I did.

W4RAV likes this.
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Yes I remember, ...And ?

4. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not necessarily... I owned a Nissan that I had nearly zero problems with... and an Audi that had a TON more features, but gave me nothing but head-aches.
    Yet there's plenty of folks I'm sure that's had the opposite experience.

Problems can seldom be broken down to just a brand.

5. W4RAV

Sorry I was so abstract to be obtuse... Both Vista and Win8 had a LOT more issues and complaints than Win7 or 10.

6. KC8VWM

Do you, or have you ever, found the desire to use or install any older ham radio software?

How's that working out for you in Windows 10?

7. KC8VWM

More issues and complaints from ham radio operators who are using Win10 for their ham radio software? (The intended thread subject at hand)

8. W4RAV

So far so good. And I run a LOT of different programs in this hobby.

The ONLY time I've had to revert to a vintage box was when I owned a Kachina 505DSP. The original software for it requires a box from the era of Win2k.
    But that was a dedicated machine, which had no effect on my other operations. Nor unexpected, since it was a radio built 20 years ago.

kachina505DSP_day001.jpg

Me, I'd rather upgrade my out-dated amateur radio software and gear than using an O/S that cripples me in so many other ways.

KC8VWM likes this.
  9. KC8VWM

Sometimes the out-dated amateur radio software can't be upgraded, yet it's still required to operate or program older radio equipment and hardware you may have.

So should I just throw away any TNC's, HT's, Scopes, Military radio equipment I may have that relies on using such older software?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    W4RAV likes this.
  10. W4RAV

In the spirit of your question, and entirely from my POV... YES.

Or, at the very least, have a separate computer that's dedicated to the purpose your vintage gear utilizes. There's nothing wrong with using more than one O/S.

This hobby really isn't much different than any pursuit in technology.... adapt, or be left behind.