ad: w5yi

Are we being "updated" into oblivion?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6DDJ, Dec 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

So we are supposed to disconnect our computers from the internet and that will fix the Windows problem?

2. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Good "fix", but not very practical. At least for me. Most of what I do uses an Internet connection... reporting signals in amateur radio, multiplayer games, streaming services, et al.

It won't be long from now that we'll be booting to the web. Particularly since some connections are faster than the time it takes to read/write from a hard-drive.

Full circle... from dumb terminals to slightly less dumber. :)

3. W4RAV

Oh dear god... please don't tell me our nukes run on a Winbox! :)
    (Adds a whole new meaning to blue-screen-of-death.)

colonel-panic.jpg
    (For our Linux fans....)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Beats me about "nukes," but we sell tons of Windows based machines to the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, FBI, CIA, et al.

Geesh, SPAWAR is one of our best customers, and everything is Windows based.

W4RAV likes this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Right. :)

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I remember working with SPAWAR. Nice guys, but the military's affinity for Windows wasn't confidence-inspiring.

W4RAV likes this.
  7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Good grief. The level of Microsoft paranoia with some folks is off the charts.

Run what you want. If you have issues, ask for help, and ignore the advice, you deserve you you get. Get a Mac. Try Linux. I am sure you will find all your problems solved, and the world a better, brighter place because everything is perfect outside the evil Microsoft empire. Really, stop bitching and move on to something else for everyone's sake.

Perhaps some people here shouldn't own computers, they seem to hate them with anything to do with ham radio anyway. I think we need a word that is the antonym of "fanboy", because we have a few here that just can't help themselves.

W4RAV likes this.
  8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I think some people are having a lot of trouble with Windows 10. Perhaps more than they did with other operating systems they used in the past.

Does that make one paranoid or not eligible to own a computer?

KK5JY likes this.
  9. W4RAV

We do, it's called "hater".

Think that's bad, just try mentioning FT8. :)

Some folks just complain because it gives them a sense of purpose and value.
    Not much different than political parties.

IMO, one can't really have a fair-and-balanced POV if all they believe is what they currently espouse.
    I feel one shouldn't stand by their viewpoints just for the sake of commiseration.

10. W4RAV

Which, as some of us have at least implied, v10 has been the MS O/S with the least problems. (Remember Vista or Win8?)