ad: M2Ant-1

Are we being "updated" into oblivion?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6DDJ, Dec 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
  1. K6DDJ

K6DDJ Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi all,
    Is it just me, or are any of you folks noticing a pattern of increased problems each time we get a new build from Microsoft? It just seems that after I get an update, my logging and rig control software will either slow way down or crash, my USB ports do not recognize any hardware as it used to do, I will get error messages saying things like "file XXX.YYY failed to initialize, my icons on the desktop seem to move around a bit each time I start the computer up again.....and on and on. I even purchased a new computer thinking my older (but not ancient) PC was failing. The new PC looks like it too is doing the same crazy things. I am not asking for any help here to fix any specific problem, just want to know if others out there are experiencing the "new Windows build = new problems" syndrome.

K6DDJ

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hasn't happened to me. Of course, as I've said before, there are so many PC hardware configurations that it is impossible to say what might happen to some computers.

The only thing that has ever happened to me? There've been two updates that (I assume it was the updates anyway) somehow changed my default soundcard for my digital programs from the soundcard in the radio to the one in the PC. No big deal, but I got a great big surprise when I transmitted and this LOUD SQUEAL came out of the PC speakers. :)

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

That has been an issue for quite some time. Mandatory updates are only practical if the vendor tests the update with every possible combination of hardware, drivers, etc. Obviously, that's not practical, but they do it anyway, and as a result, broken systems are inevitable.

And let's be honest, companies like the one you named are mostly interested in you getting into a subscription model for everyday software like Office365, so they have no incentive to help you keep your system running smoothly except for a web browser (preferably theirs), and maybe an email client. They can't generate recurring revenue from anything else on your machine.

Security updates are important for end-user machines, especially when the person who owns the machine isn't the person who will be operating the machine (like in an office environment). For the rest of us, it's important to be able to choose which updates we will tolerate, and when. Most Linux distributions still offer that flexibility.

NL7W, KC9YGN and KA4DPO like this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.

KB2SMS, K4PIH, NL7W and 3 others like this.
  5. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not here. Also we covered this in another thread recently. https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/disappearing-applications-or-dead-apps-that-suddenly-stop-working.637426

p.s. If I were experiencing those issues I would suspect a Virus or Malware.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    W4RAV likes this.
  6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My guess is that when Microsoft codes updates for their current OS, amateur radio software is not even on the radar screen. Their primary concern are the millions of commercial users who generate the bulk of their revenue.

For some reason, my Drake R4B seems to be completely immune to Microsoft updates.:D

PS, still waiting for Drake to bring out that R8C+ rig they promised. Maybe next quarter.;)

K4VLF and KD2ACO like this.
  7. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Flex has had problems with Windows updates, I think they think Microsoft has to work with them when it's the other way around.

W4NNF likes this.
  8. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd suspect something besides Windows.

Many radio uses for my Win10 box, zero problems due to the O/S, but I also don't run programs designed for last century operating systems.
    Or any Symantec (i.e. Norton) products. :)

I would unplug from the Internet, disable all unnecessary items, including your antivirus, unplug devices besides mouse, keyboard and monitor, and try again with a clean boot.

Often, in my extensive experience, a poor initial installation of Windows causes more problems than what you might do later. Like they say, begin with a proper foundation.
    So, if you bought something off-the-shelf, you're going to start off with a lot of crap. That's why I recommend to always assemble your own PC.

WU8Y likes this.
  9. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

How is this ham radio related?

10. KD4IEM

KD4IEM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"my logging and rig control software will either slow way down or crash" seems ham related to me.

N1DQQ, WZ7U, W5RHR and 2 others like this.