ARE U READY?

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by N8AFT, Feb 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Car camping is making big in-roads here.
    Look at Signaloop HF319 for a great portable loop. 80-17m, 25watts, made of RG11 coax.
    Low cost of $170 to my door in US dollars...

K7WFM likes this.
  2. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the thing I wish to do too. Average van has two batteries by default: one starting and other for everything else. So you may use that second battery with no worries: if totally drained by a radio still the engine could be started. While panel vans are cheaper and somewhat easier to overhaul the passenger ones have factory installed climate control for entire interior, not for the only front row (no huge difference, though). Van's big sleek roof is good counterpoise for HF antenna. So you could work on the move or parked with just a whip.

N8AFT likes this.
  3. N8AFT

I made a plank with a pipe flange and pipe attached that I can park a car's tire on and raise a 33' vertical...
    It works well but need to be stationary, hi hi...

UT7UX likes this.
  4. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw smth like that on pictures and found it genius.

5. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

But there are drawbacks. For trips for 2-3 days, the car that you already have is enough. How often do we travel longer out of town? 99% of the remaining time you need to store it somewhere and spend money on maintenance. Therefore, it is most rational to make the most of what is already there and think well whether you really need something else.

I use a metal corner for this, which takes up very little space. I drive it into the ground and fix the rod with plumbing clamps.

изображение_viber_2021-09-15_09-47-23-642.jpg

UT7UX likes this.
  6. N8AFT

That's a great idea Vlad. Only problem with it is where we have to camp or park to raise an antenna.
    Driving things into the ground is almost always forbidden on public and private camping grounds...
    Yes, venturing days away from home is not an option for many who have pets they must leave at home...
    For us it's days spent at a local wooded park enjoying walks, reading, cooking out and of course radio...
    Happy Trails my friend!

7. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I've heard a lot about such restrictions in Western Europe and the United States. Everyone chooses the best option for their conditions. This corner and the rod are always in my car, but I rarely use them because I always find a suitable tree that gives me about 20 meters in height, not 10.