ARE U READY?

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by N8AFT, Feb 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Lane,

Thank you for your kind words. Your QRZ page is very interesting!

Jim

2. AA5ET

AA5ET Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a campervan, but never stay at RV parks due to all the electrical noise, people noise, and dislike being stacked in, side to side with a bunch of RVs. I always boondock, or stay at campsites without electricity such as USFS, BLM, and NPS campsites. My solar/battery system works well enough to provide everything I need including a few hours of TV when I want, lights, charging, fans, and ham radio. Heating and cooking use no electricity (propane or butane for cooking, and a solid fuel heater for heat - small wood/charcoal/coal stove). For cooling (at least here in the southwest) I use an evaporative cooler (swamp cooler), which doesn't use much battery power.

K7WFM likes this.
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds great Marco! I got one of those ac/dc fridge freezers last year. I works well. I wired up a cigarette lighter plug so goin down the road or at engine idle it will run the lil compressor. It features vy low current draw. I plug in at home, then fill with chilled and frozen items. I also run it from my solar panel(s) when parked.
    My lighting is li-ion battery or solar gooseneck clamp ons...

4. AA5ET

AA5ET Ham Member QRZ Page

Was thinking about a little compressor fridge, but will stick with the ice chest for now. If I lived in the van the fridge might be on the list, but the high efficiency ice chest does fine for my weeklong excursions.

5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

We bought an RV a little over a year ago. We haven't used it much yet because of a family health situation but we've driven from NH to TX, back to NH and now back to TX, stopping at Cracker Barrels along the way. I was happy to miss the NH winter.

I'm definitely looking forward to using it for real camping. I've been using the time to do lots of little maintenance tasks. So far I've ...
    • Replaced the old tail lights with LEDs
    • Serviced the generator
    • Replaced the dashboard "radio".
    • Replaced the shower door.
    • Installed some more DC power sockets.
    • Installed cellular internet so we can work from it. That's an ongoing project that's become a bit of a hobby in itself.
    • I'm waiting for a fine weekend to install a Maxxair roof fan.
    Ham radio has been a low priority but there will be something, I'm just not sure what yet.

rv.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    N8AFT and KJ5T like this.
  6. N8AFT

FB rig to winter-over in... Not too awfully small... Keeps the cabin fever at a minimum... ;)
    BTW I found your "Ham Map" facinating! My area is loaded with active and SK's...

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  7. KG4RRH

KG4RRH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We just ordered a new Minnie Winnie...it might be 6 months before we see it.

8. N8AFT

The one pictured must be yer trade-in, it's plenty big. Was it too big? What length was it?
    I imagine it was a V10 gasser, what was the hwy mileage with it? What's the new one have for power?
    I may or may not outgrow my Mini Cruiser but age is having its' way with it...
    It's fine for regional travel and over niters though. I got it primarilly to do portable CW from in all weather...

9. N8AFT

During my Mini Cruiser interior rehab I found water ingress in the bunk above the truck's cab.
    Custom made firmness and sized new mattress was ordered from Foam Factory of Detroit on Saturdy.
    It arrived on Thursdy! Top Flite Service!
    Any size and thickness, any firmness you need they hv it at reasonable cost, quick turn around and good comms.!
    Anyway, ended up removing all the wet ceiling in the bunk and replacing.
    Added benefit is more insulation R values now since we plan to go every weekend til it's just too cold!

10. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Due to the interference/noise in the city and the difficulty of installing good antennas there, for the last few years I have been on the air mainly outside the city. The back seat of the car is shek, and I also sleep in it. It takes about 30 minutes to install the antennas. Of course, I would like a separate LiFePo battery and generally a separate van for the radio, but so far there is no money for this.