ARE U READY?

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by N8AFT, Feb 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

IMG_1328.jpeg I did WFD by packing in to a remote pond. Partly cloudy and the posted high temp was 55 degrees. It actually made 55 but it only lasted about an hour. As the temp dropped the wind picked up. Packing out was a lot colder than packing in!

It took me a while to warm up after getting home. Only made 10 QSOs utilizing my FT-817 and ATAS-25. But it felt like an accomplishment. All of my operating today is portable QRP. At my age I don't camp overnight anymore but day trips are fine.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    K0UO, N3AWS, K7WFM and 2 others like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

N0UO and I are ready/
    We missed Hamcation, FL and QFest in Arizona.
    Getting the RV ready for next weekend, headed to the Texas coast. Salt water is great.

N3AWS and N8AFT like this.
  3. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

At least a dozen day trips to ridgelines on USFS roads where we can set up a tarp, table & chairs. Gas barbecue, the works. (Gas barbecues are usually allowed during burn bans, when open fires are not. And, since we may be looking at another restricted summer, the number of campsites with "made fireplaces" may be very low.)

Also a half dozen camping trips, dispersed if campsites are closed. Tent camping with a new tent.

One early fall trip to Banks Lake, if it is open, with our midget bass boat.

For a "togetherness" thing, the XYL and I do bunny hunts with 2m handhelds and Yagis. The 2m handhelds are also useful when one is on foot away from camp and the other stayed behind. Like when she is taking pictures and I am playing radio. Or when I'm fishing while she is making breakfast.

And before anybody complains, she is a General, just not active on HF.

She told me she got her license so she could understand what I'm saying. For my end, I have to know enough about photography to follow her technical discussions. ;)

K0UO, N3AWS and N8AFT like this.
  4. KC1OXS

KC1OXS Ham Member QRZ Page

Since I live where a lot of people come to camp. not a lot of that, but some in the boonies. If the New England Forest Rally and Climb to the Clouds run this year will do them. Sunday River Resort, headquarters of NEFR gives us rooms at a really good rate as volunteers, so I stay there. CTTC offers free camping for volunteers, so will probably camp.

If you set up an NVIS antenna, you may be able to hear us on 80 meters when we do Icicle Brook Road at NEFR.

We need volunteers for both.

http://www.newenglandforestrally.com/

Subaru Mt. Washington Hillclimb - Mount Washington Auto Road, Gorham NH (mt-washington.com)

N3AWS likes this.
  5. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have my Icom 706MKIIg set up in my Jayco Whitehawk, but don’t have any plans right now to take any trips. I have operated mobile in GA and FL QSO Parties in the past and would like to get back into that, but to many other higher priorities right now.

But the Spring weather is tempting me and April has a lot of QSO Parties in nearby states...

K0UO likes this.
  6. N3AWS

Brrrrr...!

7. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got a great deal on a table-top Coleman LP folding grill...
    Come on warm wx! Ready to hit the road in a few weeks!

N3AWS and K7WFM like this.
  8. N8AFT

Well the Coleman table-top grill was a bust somehow and Amazonia refunded my card pronto dente'...
    I got a simple no frills tin propane grill on line that uses a 1 LB bottle so it arrived quickly and there we have it!
    I like to have a few methods to cook with. I like to Not go hungry. Have to prepare for the worst but hope for the best, hi.
    XYL 2B Gayle (no callsign yet) has next Fridy off so the plan is to get my taxes done this weekend and prepare to campout at AEP Re-Creation Lands in Morgan County Ohio starting next Friday early morning, WX permitting...
    May depart here Thursdy night(?) but hope be in place & loading my vert running a G-90 CW on whatever bands r open...
    The venerable and uber dependable Toyota Mini Cruiser is prepped with a new oil filter and a topped off fuel tank...
    Need to top off the Air-Lift bags (55Lbs ea) and ck tire pressures again after wintering over in the bk yd.
    Without the Air-Lift installation I was in a row boat going down the street or roads, vy unsafe/uncomfortable...
    KYB gas adjust premium shocks were installed first but sure was not the "cure"....
    Add some meat to grill on open fires, hopefully, other essentials es libations, and we're all set to enjoy the outdoors!

Hope you Are Ready too! Enjoy it while it's cool enough!

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.

N3AWS likes this.
  9. N3AWS

My only plan so far to mix camping and hamming is to operate QRP portable in the ARRL June VHF contest camping in my Jayco trailer. If that goes well, then we’ll see about Field Day.

N3AWS

10. N8AFT

Hi Jim, First off, Thank You for your dedication to serve in the United States Air Force...
    The VHF contest sounds like a good time while camping between walks and other activities.
    Been helping my daughter and son in-law work on their new digs so yet to hit the road here.
    Likely next weekend Lord willing... Hope you have fair weather my friend!
    VY 73.

N3AWS likes this.