ARE U READY?

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by N8AFT, Feb 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you anticipating remote ops from yer tent or camper setup yet?
    Much like dreaming abt what you'll plant in this spring's garden patches.
    I'm waiting for the spring thaw and fully planning to hit the American Electric Power's
    Re-Creation Lands in Morgan County Ohio and set up my HB vert, 9:1 unun and som radials.
    Of course the camping aspect is vy high on the priority list along with CW op on 10 - 160m.
    I can run QRPp to QRO with my gear and coach battery.
    I plan to replace the 100ah AGM with my 100ah LiPo this spring to save weight.
    The AGM is needed for colder mos when it's too cold to chg the LiPo.

So what's your plan or what's the dream?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    K7WFM likes this.
  2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've gone camping (hammock, no tent or rv) 4 times since September and took my radios each time. The last time, just a few weeks ago, the campsite was covered in snow when we got there and more fell the morning we packed up to go home.

Chris

3. N8AFT

FB! Can't say you didn't try!
    Kuddos!

4. KI4POT

To clarify, we didn't leave because it was snowing, we left because it was time to leave.

Radio-wise, I yelled at the clouds via 6mFM and we did a bit of QRP HF work, including some DX.

Hammock (my buddy's set up, but mine is very similar):
    hammock.jpg

Fresh snow the 2nd morning:
    snow.jpg

Chris

KY4GD, KM4JEG, N3SE and 2 others like this.
  5. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE="N8AFT,
    BOONDOCKING
    It's like field day with out all the rules. Camp grounds have some BIG RF noise problems.
    Out in a remote field in northern Wisconsin is much quieter. (Except for the popping of
    electric fencers.)

So what's your plan or what's the dream?[/QUOTE]

Attached Files:

K7WFM likes this.
  6. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Not yet. This is the peak of trout fishing season in the Shenandoah Valley, Blue Ridge
    Mountains, and the Potomac Highlands of West Virginia/Virginia.

KU4X likes this.
  7. KI4POT

Those are my stomping grounds too. :)

The pics above were taken in Hardy Co, WV.

Chris

8. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

'Are you anticipating remote ops from yer tent or camper setup yet?'

Once the snow melts off some. It's avalanche season here!:)
    Darr.jpg
    We're planning on exploring northern Nevada this summer. Ham gear will be coming along.

K0UO likes this.
  9. N8AFT

Morgan County's AEP Lands is about as close as anyone can get to boondocking here in Ohio.
    All campsites are non-electric with no running water. No power line noise etc. Very quiet in every way.
    34.5k acres of reclaimed and wooded former strip mine.
    Many many lakes and ponds to hike in and fish from.
    Free of charge but must obtain and sign a permit PDF form and keep it on you.

10. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I lived in High View in Hampshire County for quite a few years. My hobby farm was 25 acres and split by two two grid locations. I would take my side-x-side and a 20' painters pole with a 6-element homebrew yagi and work 2 meters. The best place was our church parking lot in Gore, high on a ridge. I could get into repeaters in much of western and southern PA, much of MD, much of WV, and at least down to Richmond.

I take a little Baofang UV5 with me when I'm fishing because there is no cell service at Warden Lake, Dillons Run, Kimsey Run Lake, Parkers Hollow Lake Capon Lake and Trout Pond stream. But I can get into quite a few repeaters with the UV5.

If you see a red Toyota Tacoma with ham plates on it, I'll be somewhere close by. We moved back to the VA side of the border about two years ago. We lived in Nokesville for about 25 years.

See you on the water,

Ken

KI4POT likes this.