Are There Many?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by M6XSZ, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC9WXT

KC9WXT Ham Member QRZ Page

Look into talking with local scout leaders. I know the BSoA do a Jamboree on the Air. Participate in ARRL's Kids' Day (June 21 this year) and have free snacks for the kids. Have a foxhunt for local scouts or school kids. See about doing demonstrations in the local schools. You may also be able to attract the high school crowd with the whole "when all else fails, ham radio works" angle.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  2. KB1LHE

KB1LHE Ham Member QRZ Page

Try going to local schools and mention the hobby to some top administrators - that you are looking for youngsters to become HAM radio operators and would like to set up a demonstration at the school if possible. And if they are not responsive, run an add in a local paper for a demonstration activity. A previous poster mentioned Boy/Girl Scout organizations - another good source for prospects. Getting kids to give up their hand held "toys" is very hard but if the "lure/bait" is strong enough (a hands on demonstration), you will likely succeed in getting at least a few kids interested.

3. KC9WXT

KC9WXT Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't have to get kids to give up their hand held "toys" in favor of radio. Lots of youngsters these days have smart devices that can be used for Echolink. There are other cool ham-related apps available out there, too. It should be touted as a supplement to ham radio and a useful tool. I'm sure the kids could be wowed by an Echolink demonstration that shows how a cell phone can be used to communicate with "regular" radios.

If kids are interested in ham radio, there is nothing stopping them these days! Between all these cheap-but-usable radios coming out of China and the use of Echolink, parents won't go broke getting into a new (USEFUL!) hobby.

Sorry if I'm getting too in depth. I love to plan things!!! (just ask me about Field Day!) ;)

4. VK2FCOR

VK2FCOR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    My name is Corey VK2FCOR I am 10 years old and have recently got my foundation license.Ham radio is great.My friends dont really understand what its all about though.I am one of the youngest hams in Australia.I build electronic kits.Just put a Ten Tec receiver together.I am helping my dad VK2FJC build a new log periocic antenna.DX on 10 and 15m is my favorite thing.
    Bye

5. W4TGV

W4TGV Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my Youth Net started.
    146.700 repeater in Bristol TN, Tuesday nights at 8PM Local.
    There are six young hams other than myself who I know of.

Max

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.