Are There Many?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by M6XSZ, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. AC8PI

AC8PI Ham Member QRZ Page

what about starting a young ham net?

2. KD8WAM

KD8WAM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you mean an HF net? And what do you consider a young ham?

3. KD8WAM

KD8WAM Ham Member QRZ Page

Would you mind posting the statistics?

AC8PI suggested a young ham net later in this thread. Perhaps that is a viable solution, but it might be hard to get off the ground.

I agree. There is plenty to hear/learn from them too.

4. ZR6K

ZR6K Ham Member QRZ Page

As far as I know anyone under the age of 25 is considered youth. (fiscally not mentally)

There for ill be considered fiscally a member of the youth for the next 5 years but mentally maybe another 10 years.

5. W2DU

W2DU Ham Member QRZ Page

My 10 year old studied for over a year to get his technician ticket (KD2EVP)..... I have often wondered how many young (comparable) hams are out there. Moreover, are they active in any particular segment of the hobby?

Tell us about your interests younguns!

John
    KB3EIB

6. KD8WTY

KD8WTY Ham Member QRZ Page

Darn, I'm 26 now. Guess I'm no longer a young Ham :(

7. KD8BOQ

KD8BOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a lot of young people in this hobby! I've been licensed for almost 9 years now since I was 12, and I absolutely love it!

Check out the YOUTH NET on Thursday nights at 7PM EST from ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD via Echolink. The DODROPIN conference server hosts it.

8. MM0KFX

MM0KFX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that's in 20 mins? It'll be 11pm here local (11pm GMT) so I'll try and stop by

9. GW5NIC

GW5NIC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Young 21 year old ham from Wales
    Ham Radio needs promoting for this hobby to continue.
    MW6EEJ
    Josh

10. K0MJD

K0MJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm 21 and have only been licensed since I was 18.

I can agree with this John. While talking to an older ham is great, the generation gap can make having a long rag chew a little tough. With contests and special event stations, or even with DX stations, the qso is short enough to not encounter that problem. I guess its not really a true "problem" per say but I don't see anything wrong with wanting to chat with ops from the same generation.

With that, I think a net or sked or maybe even an unofficial "calling frequency" for youth would be awesome to institute. It would be pretty cool to be able to flip on the rig and spin the dial to the "young ham" hangout frequency on 40 or 80 meters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.