Are there captive pin N crimp connectors?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K3RW, Jan 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Forgive me if I am using the wrong terminology, but I am looking for a crimp N connector that is silver plated/teflon.

Thats easy to find. But I haven't seen (yet) one where the connector has a center is crimped in one step. Not sure how to describe it... I am not sure if the term here is 'captive pin' to describe a barrel that has the pin all ready to go, clean the coax, connect and crimp, done.

All the crimp N connectors I see have 3 parts: the barrel, the N, and the coax clampy thing.

Is there one with a two piece connector, just a barrel with the pin already in it and the coax clampy thing?

I seem to trust my skills on making crimp UHF but on the Ns not so much.

So if there is a crimp coax that is silver/teflon and has a captive pin (?) or whatever I am describing, could you kindly tell me where to look?

Please hit reply so I get a notification of the message!

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All of the crimp N connectors I've ever seen or used have been built in three pieces, the pin, the shell and the coax sleeve.

I can't imagine how you'd crimp the center pin in a pre-assembled version.

KA0HCP, K3RW, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  3. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks!

4. VA7UO

VA7UO Ham Member QRZ Page

The only captive pin you will find on an N connector are the Heliax connectors and ones that I use on the 1/4" ultraflex N/BNC connectors.

Glenn, VA7UO

K3RW likes this.
  5. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, you are absolutely correct. I was actually looking at those and I thought if these exist, then the Ns must be out there but hard to find!:)

6. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, they're available for lmr400 and similar cables with a solid center conductor.

VA7UO and K3RW like this.
  7. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Are they widely available at the usual coax places?

I probably will use at least LMR400 for the short runs I have, or 600 if I can get a good deal on it.

8. K7JEM

If you have the right crimp tool, the three piece connectors are easy to do, and more available. But the captive pin N connectors are available most places that sell a variety of connectors. Here is a datasheet for one made by Commscope and available at Tessco and other suppliers: (BTW, they call it a "captivated pin")
    https://www.commscope.com/catalog/connectors/pdf/part/45709/400APNM-CS8.pdf

K3RW likes this.
  9. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never seen or worked with those for coax. How do they manage a solid electrical connection to the center pin? Is there some kind of special crimp tool that reaches up inside the connector or is it friction alone that creates the electrical bond to the center pin?

K3RW likes this.
  10. K7JEM

They are just compression fit, that is why you only see them made for solid center conductor. I don't particularly like them, but they seem to work ok.

W1VT, K3RW and K7TRF like this.