Are there any Geosynchronous Ham Sats?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by N8NMG, Nov 22, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AMSAT did try about 2 years ago. NASA had a competition for projects to orbit the moon on a NASA launch. However NASA was not supporting ham transponders.

AMSAT had approval for a transponder on a USAF geosat, but changing USAF/Congressional funding cancelled the project three years ago.

There are no 'hitching rides" on government launches anymore, and no freebies on commercial launche$.

Your ideas are decades behind the times. AMSAT has continuously worked every angle through the changing times of the last 20 years. I suggest you join AMSAT and read up on back issues of the quarterly AMSAT Journal.

You can get the inside scoop from the movers and shakers by attending AMSAT conferences! b. (AMSAT Life Member).

KG4RRH and W5PFG like this.
  2. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What do you see the primary purpose of an amateur radio geo satellite covering the Americas to be?

PU2OZT likes this.
  3. KS1G

KS1G Ham Member QRZ Page

Same as how QO-100 is being used and the overall purposes of amateur radio per Part 91. Besides the only-hams-care-about-it DX possibilities (WAS from US East Coast and DXCC), developing very portable ground stations, working with new modulation schemes (digital voice, high speed data, wide band video), developing skill set with new (for me at least) microwave frequencies. Maybe demonstrate the viability of amateur radio satellites for emcom supplementing HF (how much H&W traffic could ONE satellite link support vs HF Winlink? Relative reiliability and equipment complexity, etc.).

As for cis-lunar space opportunities, ARISS made an unsuccessful proposal in the recent NASA competition and stated they will be bidding again as opportunities arise.

More broadly, the economic (no free launches, zero-sum trade off between capacity donated or even sold at discount to amateur use vs. full-pay customers) and regulatory environments (licensing, orbital debris prevention) have changed significantly and present new challenges vs. the environment when we built and flew Phase 3B satellites (AO10, 13, 40). Does not mean we "just give up". GOLF is a plan to get there, or closer, and develop the next generation of AMSAT engineering talent in the process.

This discussion is also very AMSAT-NA-centric (reasonable, most but not all of this forum membership are in N America). "We" are not the only entity that might be interested in a western hemisphere amateur GEO capability analogous to QO-100. For a non-GEO HEO satellite, literally any of the spacefaring nations could launch one and it would be a global resource. I'm wondering when (not if) China will start running ARISS-like contacts from their space station, and hope they might put something in HEO at some point.

73 (& Happy Thanksgiving for everyone who celebrates!)

K7WDO, KG4RRH, KB1PVH and 2 others like this.
  4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

One approach for might be to see if China would launch it for us. I would hope that just the mere thought of going down that path would find us a ride, as think of the embarrassment to the US space industry if China put up a sat for NA hams to use...

5. W5OXL

W5OXL Ham Member QRZ Page

When (and not if) SpaceX gets Starship operational, the cost per kilogram of payload to orbit will decrease by magnitudes. I know that is a few years down the road. I do believe there will be "ride share" types of payloads that will get to LEO. For the decreased cost, it may be possible to get on a GEO satellite as an auxiliary payload. Or, maybe, a completely stand alone GEO amateur satellite.

6. W5NYV

W5NYV Ham Member QRZ Page

You're talking about CubeQuest Challenge and Phase 4B with Virginia Tech. The CQC team was ably lead by Howie DeFelice, who ran twice in the past two AMSAT BoD elections. P4B was lead by Bob McGwier, who also ran for the AMSAT BoD in the most recent election, and has served on the board in the past.

Neither Howie or Bob are active with AMSAT at this time.

-mdt

7. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Since it was talked about 30 years ago when Goe/parking space and rides are available and never happened, I don't see any purpose. HI

8. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

I pass, but hey! thank you for the explanation (albeit I was unable to read till the end)

Happy Thanksgiving.

Oliver

9. KS1G

KS1G Ham Member QRZ Page

If China is the launch provider, the satellite will not be from the US, not be licensed by FCC, and not contain anything subject to ITAR regulations. The CAS and XW series satellites demonstrate the Chinese amateur community is fully capable of designing, building, and operating functional satellites. Your guess is as good as mine if the Chinese authorities, aerospace industry, universities, or amateurs have any kind of roadmap leading to an amateur station on their manned station or a HEO satellite (a GEO would likely be over Asia so not much help for NA and SA hams).

10. W5NYV

W5NYV Ham Member QRZ Page

Chinese ham scene is definitely different than here.

They do have a roadmap.

-mdt