Are there any Geosynchronous Ham Sats?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by N8NMG, Nov 22, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8NMG

N8NMG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone know of any existing or planned geosynchronous ham sats with a foot print covering North America?

73 es gud dx de N8NMG Dayton, Ohio

2. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

None that I'm aware of, maybe not in my lifetime. AMSAT is working on HEO, but getting a ride for full GEO seems out of reach.

3. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As far as I know, QO-100 is the only bird in geostationary orbit and that is not visible from the US. Space on launch vehicles that will get you into geostationary orbit is probably a lot more in demand than LEO space.

Martin (G8FXC)

4. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

The talent that built the big ham satellites has retired. Which means either a new generation of satellite builders or the money needed to pay someone to build a Geostationary satellite.

K0UO and AK5B like this.
  5. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think it's so much a build it problem, more of a launch it problem. AMSAT has been talking about it's dreams for years, but it seems little comes of them. It's OK to dream big, but need to balance that with achievable goals. AMSAT's Golf project (Five and Dime) would be great for a long period or geosync sat, but how are you going to get it there? One would have thought with Elon blasting all sorts of stuff into space it would be easier these days...

AK5B likes this.
  6. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no way amateur radio is going to occupy an orbital slot on its own nor will amateur radio vehicles be allowed anywhere near commercially parked vehicles. It is LEO and HEO, or nothing.

For something similar to QO-100 to happen, someone would need to finesse a commercial operator into building a secondary payload for amateur radio on one of their vehicles. And operating it. I just don't see that happening.

7. K3EO

K3EO Ham Member QRZ Page

Shoot for the moon...
    The next time NASA or JPL or any of their international counterparts wants to send a probe to the moon, maybe AMSAT should try to hitch a ride. Since the same side of the moon always faces the earth, it would be interesting to land a linear transponder on that side of the moon. Hams would have to up their ERP game but it sure would be fun working through that semi-stationary satellite.

WL7PM, N8NMG and AK5B like this.
  8. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting idea - but what ERP would be required? I don't take ham satellite radio very seriously, but it has been fun on a few occasions to have a QSO via a LEO satellite using an HT running 5w into its rubber duck... I seriously doubt that would be possible through your lunar based repeater!

Martin (G8FXC)

VE3TSV likes this.
  9. W5NYV

W5NYV Ham Member QRZ Page

Open Research Institute is working on a variety of high altitude amateur payload research and development. There's good opportunities and good progress.

Link budgets for GEO, lunar, and Mars can be found in these places:

https://github.com/phase4space/payload-dmt/tree/master/link-budget/DVB-Tool
    https://github.com/phase4ground/documents/tree/master/Engineering/Link_Budget

An introduction to ORI's organization and work on a DVB-S2 multimedia beacon can be found here:

Regulatory work, including Debris Mitigation white paper and a recent meeting with the FCC, is documented here:
    https://github.com/phase4ground/documents/tree/master/Regulatory

-Michelle W5NYV

W0PV, PU2OZT, N3RYB and 1 other person like this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not alone on this, but many of us don't feel that AMSAT did their job back in the 80s when they could have got a spot. They had planned on a geostationary satellite and attempted it, but it never continued. Many of us supported it with additional contributions.
    I lost faith in them and quit supporting them at that point. The main many of us wanted was it some geostationary satellites/ and it wasn't going anywhere.
    They tried and sold the idea of their Phase 3 satellites to the general amateur community

And here we are 30 years later still no Geo satellite.

73 from,
    The K0UO "Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire, I'm In the Air or On the Air daily

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    W0PV, AK5B and N3RYB like this.