Are the "DIY" TSU-8 lookalikes any good?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K1FFX, Nov 24, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1FFX

K1FFX Ham Member QRZ Page

After a number of years offline, my Kenwood TM-255A is back online. I'd like to add the TSU-8 CTCSS tone decoder to it. Looks like real Kenwood units are very hard to come by, but I see a number of eBay vendors selling Chinese "DIY" (that's how they are described on eBay) versions of the TSU-8.

Does anyone have any experience with these DIY units? Do they work to spec and are they reliable?

And if anyone knows of a Kenwood TSU-8 looking for a new home, I'd love to hear about it!

Thanks -

Bruce K1FFX

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood TM-255A : 144 MHz VHF All-Mode transceiver (Universal Radio Information Page)
    http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hammulti/tm255a.html
    image.jpeg
    Kenwood TM-255A Owner Manual (Page 52 covers proper installation steps of TSU-8)
    Page 40 of the TM-255A manual covers the proper setup (menus) for CTCSS operation.
    http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/TM255_TM455_user.pdf

The Kenwood TSU-8 optional accessory (CTCSS function) was only manufactured during the production runs of these radios: TM-461, TM-271, TH-22A, TM-255A, TM-733A, etc.
    Some North American Kenwood dealers still have the TSU-8 option "in stock".

HamCity (Culver City, CA) sells the Kenwood TSU-8 board (states as Kenwood source).
    https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/TSU-8-p928.htm
    USPS Priority Shipping from California will be faster than China Post shipping and customs clearances which can be 3-4 weeks (average during Christmas Holidays) from China (eBay sources).
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  3. K1FFX

Thanks for all the info! Since the rig needed a new backup battery, I had it open the other day
    and installed a battery clip for the CR-2032, and saw the slot for the TSU-8 which is right next
    to where the battery lives. I have the original owners manual, and the directions for getting
    in there are quite good. [I also did the "TM-255A won't power on after DC power is turned
    off and on" mod, replacing C6 ... that was a good fix, and the problem went away.]

I'm surprised to see anyone selling a new Kenwood board, but I will follow up with HamCity.
    Thanks a lot fo the pointer.

- Bruce K1FFX

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Bruce -

Kenwood used the Sanyo CR-2032 Solder Tab battery -- same battery used in MILLIONS
    of Toll Road transponders from Chicago (I-90) through Great Lakes states (I-90/I-76)
    to NorthWest USA.
    image.jpeg
    Panasonic bought out Sanyo -- owning the Lithium coin cell market (70% market share).
    They changed the earlier Sanyo 1F2 suffix, for this specific solder tab specification used by Kenwood.

Panasonic CR-2032/F2N (solder tab) -- $1.11 part in quantity 1, buy 100 it drops to 77 cents.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CR-2032/F2N/P657-ND/2404062

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  5. K1FFX

Yep. That looks pretty much like what I removed. I had received some feedback on
    soldering in a new battery vs. soldering in a clip (possibility of blowing up the battery,
    and needing too much heat to solder). In retrospect, I don't think I would have had
    any problem in installing a new battery, but opted for installing the clip anyway. If
    I still have the TM255-A in 5 years or so, battery replacement will be simplfied.

I just wrote to HamCity trying to verify that their TSU-8 is a "genuine" Kenwood part.

Best -

Bruce K1FFX

6. K1FFX

Just to wrap this up ... HamCity does indeed sell the Kenwood TSU-8. I don't know if this
    is something Kenwood is still producing or if HamCity has a supply of NOS. In any case,
    HamCity shipped it 1st Class USPS the same day, and the TSU-8 is now installed and
    functional in my TM-255A. Thanks to W9GB for the pointer.

- Bruce K1FFX

7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Bruce -

Great ! Happy to hear you have the TSU-8 part installed and working.

8. K4JF

K4JF Ham Member QRZ Page

On another tack....I sold a TH-42 (poor functioning) and discovered too late that it had the TSU-8 installed. (I should have realized that, as most 70cm repeaters have tone.) So, I now have a TH-22 and I don't know if it has the TSU-8 installed. Don't need it here, but considering a move. So....any way to see if it has the TSU-8 without taking it apart??