Are "Nets" Exempt From The Rules?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD5VHK, Aug 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0LC

W0LC Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I for one don't have much use for "nets".

Not all nets operate that way however. I have heard nets on 40 meters that state "frequency +/-" when they announce where they meet. They understand that sometimes it is impossible to be on a "set frequency".

I think that net frequencies are carry overs from channelized days. Nowadays, VFO's allow the net control station to move a little one way or the other.

Another point. If they are 1.5 kHz down/up from you, then your selectivity could be better unless they are splattering. You should be able to "notch" them out better then that.

I usually move slightly, say .5 khz up or so to give them and me some room. If they come onto the frequency and start harrassing you, then start recording and documenting them.

I have seen one net on 20 meters, 14.247 that does that. The Net Control Station harrasses individuals near the net frequency frequently, forcing them to QRT or QSY in order to stop putting up with the harrassment. That is illegal to me, but like already posted, enforcement is nearly non-existent.

That is one reason I prefer CW. You get none of that big mouth rudeness you find on SSB. Get use to it. With the continual dumbing down of the requirements, the lack of operator skill, this will only get worse over time. But then again, when CW goes "away", then I suspect I will have to switch to some other mode!

GL!

2. K5FRP

K5FRP Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally don't do a lot of net activity on HF, but I do try to remember when some of the established nets are going to come on so that I can be well clear of them.

Ham radio is about "common" courtesy to all other members of our hobby net or no-net. Now I don't have any say so in how someone acts towards me, but I do know that I have a say so in how I act towards other operators.

So if there is a net, or someone tells me that there is going to be a net, or if I'm just rag chewing and someone says I'm interferring with a net up or down in frequency I politely appologize and move. What's so hard about that?

No, a net should not just come up right on top of you, but if there is one that is about to start, you should have the courtesy to move. The net control should have the courtesy to ask nicely even though some of them don't remember that.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Frank
    kc5las

3. KF9VH

KF9VH Ham Member QRZ Page

If the net controller or some of the core group have pull with the ARRL or Riley forget it. I know of an instance where the net won out over the rag chewers. This came from Riley.

As I see it if some one moves with in your pass band you put more fire in the wire and hold you own or lose the battle. It is a dog eat dog world and the biggest dog usually wins. The net can move as easy as you.

Enforcement?[​IMG]?[​IMG]?[​IMG]?? The FCC seems more interested in tracking down 2 meter QRM’ers.

4. KA5S

KA5S Ham Member QRZ Page

I suppose its like a group who regularly meet in a restaurant. They take up a lot of tables, and other diners have to put up with slow service, crowding and and raucous conversation until they're gone.

Should they be evicted?

Ultimately, the problem is solved by being considerate of others. Full-gallons as a defense against nets strikes me as an example how NOT to to be considerate. The restaurant analogy would be diners waiting at the bar who've decided to be raucous in return.

No one gains from THAT.

Cortland

5. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

The reference was made to "common courtesy." That's the problem. Courtesy is no longer common in our society. The ham bands are in general a reflection of society. Fact, not fiction.

6. AE4FA

AE4FA Ham Member QRZ Page

As Abraham Lincoln once said:

"God must love common folk because he made so many of them."

7. KD7NBH

KD7NBH QRZ Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ka5s @ Aug. 27 2003,16:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I suppose its like a group who regularly meet in a restaurant. They take up a lot of tables, and other diners have to put up with slow service, crowding and and raucous conversation until they're gone.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Not a valid analogy. Try this one - you and your family are sitting at a table in a nice restaurant eating dinner. 4 guys enter and pull chairs up to your table and start eating your dinner. They tell you to leave because they always eat dinner here at 6. Would you put up with that?

Ed  KD7NBH

8. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I prefer the service oriented &quot;nets&quot; such as ECARS, MidCARS, SoCars, NorthCars. They provide at least a common freuquency where people can at least try to meet and then move off.

Having a regular Service Controller does at least give someone a chance to at least check out a radio or antenna system. This way you do not have to &quot;wait&quot; until a regular net starts up.

Bill, WØLPQ

9. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] information requested please...I have been a GENERAL class operator for 7 months now, and never yet have encountered any of the RUDE and OBNOXIOUS operators that apparently some of you folks have encountered... please state the frequency, time ( am or pm ), day of the week of these RUDE nets, so I can actually HEAR ( and possibly communicate with ) these RUDE folks on HF....all I have for an antenna is a g5rv wire ends at ne and sw directions, 40 feet at the middle and about 15 foot at each end in height...rig is a YEASU ft - 840, and all I have personally heard for 7 months is decent conversations and AMATEUR radio has been nothing but a blessing in my shack ( far better than the local 11 meter frequencies of 15 &amp; 23..with the 500 watt &quot; billy bad boy &quot; routine , and the Moonraker IV beams that were not put together right and dont work worth a flip, but the manufacturer made a mistake, not he ones who consumed too much alcohol when they were put together and flung up in the air , at least that is what I was told )..so please give me some frequencies and times ( am / pm ) and days of the week these RUDE folks are gathering, some other folks watching this might want to listen too...thanks in advance kd4amg [​IMG]

10. KI4BOO

KI4BOO Ham Member QRZ Page

You can always check into the net and finish your QSO when it's your turn to speak. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.