Are "Nets" Exempt From The Rules?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD5VHK, Aug 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD5VHK

KD5VHK Ham Member QRZ Page

I sure it has happened to most of us.
    But nobody says anything about it.

You're having a nice QSO with a group of your friends.
    30 or 45 minutes later you hear tune ups just away from the frequency your on. Then the familiar squawking starts covering up everything being said. You go a mere 1.5k down, and sure enough, there is a net going on. Completely wiping out the current QSO. No asking if the freq is in use, no nothing. So you figure they are just a typical bunch of rudeness, and ignore them. Then, the ultimate. They actually come on to the frequency that has been actively in use for the past 45 minutes, AND ASK YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS TO LEAVE, BECAUSE YOU"RE INTERFERING WITH THEIR NET...???  

WHAT??

I'm all for sharing the bands. But they seem to have purchased this frequency? Or at least they think they own it?

Or how about this beauty:

You go looking for a frequency to call CQ on.
    You find one. Listen in for 5 or 10 mins, getting ready  and listening to hear if it is in use. Nothing. Dead..  You call CQ... You get informed the frequency is in use. You apologize and back out. Continue listening for another 10 mins, and not only is the freq. clear but the other party never ID'd. So you call again. The same person comes back on and says the same thing. So you ask "How is the frequency in use, it has been unused for 20 mins?"  And the reply says he is waiting for a net to start in about 20 mins or so, and I need to keep the frequency clear.

Again WHAT??

When "Normal" groups of Hams get together to talk, and the regular frequency is in use they actually find a clear frequency near where the normal QSo takes place.

I guess my big questions are:

Why is a net exempt from the rules of fair play on the frequencies? (or FCC regulations for that matter)

Why are nets more important than anyone else's radio work? To the point they actually run other parties off the frequency.

And the really funny part is they actually expect you you just bow down, pack up and leave. No thank you for the cooperation, no nothing.

Are these people really the spoiled bunch of self centered asses they appear to be?

Or has the rest of the community just given in to the rudeness for so long that this is common radio practice?

Thanks for letting me vent.
    KD5VHK
    Kyle

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Kyle.
    I read some FCC crap-ola on this subject, in just afew words, the FCC says, it's easier for you to move then a net.

Crap-ola to the net, show me the money order number for your purchase of your net frequency.

I have a respect for 3 nets I've heard for many years, all on 20 meters: 14336, 14332 and 14292. Only 2 serve a real purpose, 14332 and 14292.

Me, I don't move frequency for any net. Me there first, you move.
    We're going to report you to the FCC, GOOD REPORT ME.
    I don't move.

Enforcement, what enforcement?

Use the frequency Kyle, let the threats of notifying the FCC be that, a threat. Hollingsworth knows the rules, or does he?

Maybe we can chat on 10 meters some day.
    CU Kyle.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Most nets are silly, but life's too short to get upset over such matters.

Nets are for people who evidently have far more time on their hands than I do, so I stay away from them...

4. N0WVA

N0WVA Ham Member QRZ Page

This is why a 4-1000 was made to glow nice and cherry red. An individual should be shown the same courtesy as 2 or 20 people. Its the mentality you find elsewhere. Its like some drivers gradually get more and more inconsiderate, pretty soon they think they own the entire road...

5. AE4FA

AE4FA Ham Member QRZ Page

Another reason I enjoy CW. With a 500hz or 250hz filter, I can eliminate 95% of all interference. That applies whether I'm in a net or adjacent to one.

If the other guys are too cheap to put a filter in their rigs, that's just tough nuggies!

Most published net frequencies include the notation "+/-." Unfortunately, many hams have forgotten that part - net control stations included! Some of those guys haven't touched their VFOs in years . . .

6. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

I don't get into net operation any more, but once upon a time I was very active on a Telephone Phone Patch net on 15 meters. That net pretty much owned the frequency and most hams kept a respectable distance from the operation.

There used to be a "Maritime Mobile" net on 20 meters at 14.313. This was another well established frequency that was occupied daily , pretty much as long as the band was open.

The same thing applies to the mobile nets on 40 meters. WestCars, MidCars and EastCars used to ( might still ) occupy the same frequencies day in and day out, and were pretty much respected and "left alone".

The whole idea of these nets was that it was a lot easier and less disruptive for several hams to occupy two or three discrete frequencies to conduct their "business" than for the same number of hams to wander up and down the band, looking for someone else that they were interested in making the "contact" with.

A lot of the operation that used to keep those nets legitimately busy has ceased, thanks to Satellite Telephones and the Internet. The problem is that many "good old boys" nets think that they have as bonified a reason for occupying a frequency as the traditional "health and wellfare, phone-patch, and traffic" nets.

It is not at all right for a "net control operator" to be belligerent and refuse to relinquish a frequency to a group of guys involved in a qso, but at the same time, it is not at all right for that group of guys to not bend a little and twist that dial on the VFO when a well established net politely requests the informal gathering to QSY just a little.

I guess the problems rear their ugly heads when both groups get the proverbial "burr under the saddle" and get ugly about it.

Like Orv says " life is too short . . . . "

73 from Jim AG3Y

7. K3UD

K3UD Guest

The nets don't bother me as much as asking if the frequency is in use, and hearing nothing, procede to use it and get told that this is a net frequency and I am keeping it clear. The most honest response I ever got after asking if the frequency was in use.... not now, but it will be, so you best move off of it soon.

Without revealing who, what or where, I know of two hams who got so tired of this that they began a series of chess games with a 10 second time limit on moves about 30 minutes before a net was to begin on 75 meters. They lived about 5 miles from each other and ran a lot of power. Never aknowledging the net, they coninued with their chess series (three boards I think). The back and forth consisted of short transmissions such as "Pawn to king 4 and so on) The net did not back down either and continued as if they were not there. The chess matches got finished and the net completed its operations.

As someone already noted, it is a losing battle.

George
    K3UD

8. VK4XJB

VK4XJB Ham Member QRZ Page

With regards nets acting as though they own the frequency the same happens in Australia. I have listened to nets here when there has been some good propagation and the local net has started even though they then interfere with the overseas stations and get enough interence themselves that people in the net can not hear each other.

The other side of this is people who start talking on a frequency that has an existing net on it but they can not hear most of the people in the net. They will then refuse to accept that there is a net and ruin it for everyone that is involved.

9. EI7JK

EI7JK Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are these people really the spoiled bunch of self centered asses they appear to be?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

The controllers are.The worst offender on this side of the pond is the Euopean DX Net on 14.243 each Sat &amp; Sun 0600Z. For years as an SWL I would listen religiously, it was a great way to collect a few seldom heard countries and prefixes and I have never ever heard them +/-.

Ever notice how maybe +/- 1.5kHz or on the net freq there is usually a QSO in progress for the purpose of occuping for the net well before hand ?? What a pain in the ass!!!

What about Amateur Weekly News from the RSGB, IRTS etc. Should they be different and allowed to take over a frequency ?? I know that the RSGB and IRTS news services move +/- on this side if the pond. What's it like in the US???

10. W1RFI

W1RFI Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k7pig @ Aug. 25 2003,14:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I read some FCC crap-ola on this subject, in just afew words, the FCC says, it's easier for you to move then a net.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That's odd. I have heard Riley talk a number of times, and he says just the opposite.

Can you cite where you read the &quot;crapola?&quot;

Ed Hare, W1RFI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.