Are hf radios getting too small?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NG4F, Aug 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W4HAY

W4HAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fired up the 7300 after dinner and, in the CW mode, it takes about 16 turns to sweep 100 KHz, or 6 KHz per step. There is no down arrowhead indicator over the KHz portion of the readout. Touching it turns the arrowhead indicator on and the tuning rate increases to 1 KHZ. Touching it again turns off the indicator and the tuning step drops back to where it was.
    If the radio is in the AM mode, the indicator is on and the tuning rate is 1 KHz. The Tuning Function is explained on Page 3-3 of the printed manual.

Other tuning parameters can be set by pressing the MENU button and selecting the SET > FUNCTION. See page 8-4 in the printed manual.

2. UT7UX

UT7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

I often use RIT with enabled XIT to temporary switch to my TX frequency and to listen to: 'UP!!!' doesn't necessary mean exactly 1kHz or exactly 5kHz; pile spreads across few kHz so it seems good idea not to call under someone who is much louder than you are. Still I never use RIT alone as I prefer to tune fine with main VFO dial. Blame me or not, this is how I prefer to operate the radio.

3. W4HAY

W4HAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does you radio have a band scope? If so, use split mode and spread out the waterfall to about 10 KHz and you can "see" who he's responding to. Most of the stations will (hopefully) momentarily go quiet and the station replying to him will stand out. The 'scope has to display both the A and B VFO markers for this to work.

AG5DB and UT7UX like this.
  4. UT7UX

One has. I am not accustomed to enjoy its benefits yet.

Thanks, that sounds reasonable.

5. VK4XJB

VK4XJB Ham Member QRZ Page

In the less than 1/2 dozen times I have done anything involving a person yelling up and I used split. Can not recall ever using xit apart from having a quick play with the control. Thinking about it I may have used xit once. Xit + rit to give enough spread on a radio that did not have split. Would have been over 16 years year ago since I last used that radio regularly.

6. UT7UX

On the contrary I don't use real split (VFO A/B) as XIT does all I need. Whatever stupid it sounds this approach is most convenient for me.

7. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not a small radio type guy. Did have a FT450d I used as sort of a mobile in the front seat on occasion. Have always liked the larger rigs for some reason. I have never seen a 7300 or any of the small Yaesu in person. If a guy was going to work portable or the like it sure makes sense. 73 Rich

UT7UX likes this.