ad: HamInsurance-1

Are hf radios getting too small?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NG4F, Aug 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

Zillions of buttons can become intimating and a pain, too. So many buttons never get used --as I grow older I can't remember what half of them do. Kind of a waste. It gets annoying having to break out the manual to do things like go into split mode or adjust a special VOX setting, etc. Almost prefer a gigantic menu in software, with different options. Least I can find what I want easily enough by traversing the menu...

2. VK4XJB

VK4XJB Ham Member QRZ Page

In the last few years I can only recall once where a person's tx and rx were different due to an alignment issue. Once they realised there was an issue they set their rit so tx & rx were the same. What has been common is people who are adamant they are tuned to the group but their tx is off. Feels like every time turns out they have rit turned on and did not realise.

With the buttons on the 7300 my only complaint is agc fast/medium/slow is not a button on the front of the radio. Looking at the radio I have 6 buttons I do not use rit, xit, clear, V/M, mem up, mem down. This is where it would be nice if the buttons could be remapped. Like the A B C buttons on a 857d.

For a radio to complain about with not enough buttons an 857d is a good candidate. It was so nice moving to a radio with most things I regularly on the front of the radio.

W9WQA likes this.
  3. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

the 7300 tuning is 'touchy" to set on any number.
    i love the radio but the big knob is 30 times faster than many other rigs at any setting you choose,
    no way to fix it

4. VK4XJB

VK4XJB Ham Member QRZ Page

For me there is nothing broken. I like the speed it tunes at and I don't have trouble setting the frequency I want. I know it tunes faster than my other radios and that is one thing I like with the radio.

5. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

This one is just right....

[​IMG]

UT7UX likes this.
  6. AJ6LB

AJ6LB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That’s interesting you say that. Icom, in my humble opinion, has the best implementation for variable speed tuning because it changes tuning speed proportional to the speed you turn the dial. You can also change tuning to just about any step you want in settings. For instance, when I tap the “hundreds” part of the readout, the tuning changes to 10o Hz steps instead of the default 1000 Hz. And if you want really slow tuning you can always press and hold the “tens” position and get it to go in 1 Hz steps. In CW and -DATA modes I use the 1/4 setting so the speed is decreased as I spin around listening for signals.

(I use a 7100 which is largely identical in UI to the 7300, sans-panadapter.)

7. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I tend to like the received audio to be a bit peaky and often mistune by a few tens of Hz. If the guy at the other end likes to hear me a bit bassy and neither of us uses RIT, then we are doomed to wander across the band!

Martin G8FXC

W4NNF and PU2OZT like this.
  8. W4HAY

W4HAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To me, the IC-7300 has hit a good balance between buttons, touch screen, and menus.
    The only fault I can find with it is that it does not have separate jacks for paddles and straight key/bug.
    I only operate CW and depending on the other stations's preferred speed, I'll often alternate between them.

9. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

my point is that you get number changes for less than one degree of knob movement
    ,REGARDLESS of the choice YOU make. try it. just breath on the big knob !!

its .6 degree where others like the g90 are much smoother at 18 degrees,30 times smoother/
    AND you cant change that...

10. W4HAY

W4HAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I operate only CW and find the tuning rate perfect for my use It's easy to separate two stations that are almost on top of each other.
    The printed manual supplied with the 7300 is a basic "get-started" guide. The supplied CD ROM goes into much more detail about the more advanced features of the radio.

ETA: The CD ROM may no longer be supplied. You may have to go online and download it.

AJ6LB likes this.