Are export radios really all that bad?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KK6REN, Apr 15, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W4KSL

W4KSL Ham Member QRZ Page

I did spend a lot of time and effort looking for a 10 meter radio that would be "aimed" at the amateur market and not the CB market and the galaxy radios are definitely aimed at the cb market so I crossed those off the list. I read the review on the DX-10 by alinco in QST and it did get a good review and was recommended to new hams just getting started as well as older hams. That particular radio is set up on "channels" for the display and has no repeater access built in. No offset no tones. So after reading that I started looking further. The president Lincoln 2 is continuous for the entire 10 meter band with the VFO (not the traditional kind like HF) and does have offsets and tones for FM repeater operation. They have to be programmed manually. I know that this radio does have a Roger beep button and an echo button so it is probably aimed at 2 different markets however it is built and sold as an amateur radio. The Alinco DX-10 has Roger beep and echo and still received good reviews and it has no repeater capability. I'm not aware of any 10 meter repeaters in my area but I figured if president went to the trouble of adding offsets and tones then maybe they are trying to manufacture a decent product.

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would not recommend buying a ten meter only radio at this point in the sunspot cycle, regardless of whether its a cb-ish pos or not.

Upgrade to general. Its easy enogh. And get a station for lower freq HF bands, so that youll have something to do through the coming sunspot minimal.

W7UUU likes this.
  3. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Mark

When I got my full licence for all bands i only had my old president Lincoln available and no money yet for an HF rig.
    I worked half a year on the Lincoln and then upgraded to a FT920.

I must say the Lincoln was as selective in SSB as the FT920 and worked realy good in 10 mtrs.
    But in CW it was a dissapointment no CW filter.
    And I needed to find my sidetone freq ofset with the clarifier. Not realy easy and good and comfortable.

But I made an awfull lot of QSO's with it and that was due to the sun-spot maximum of 2000 and due to the perfect homebrew 5 elements monobander yagi that i built of my also homebrew 4 el monobander for 11 mtrs.
    Both sntennas were designed with computer moddeling by myself and later i had my also homebrew and designed 10 el yagi for 2 mtrs and measured at an antenna measuring day here and it outperformed all yagis that could be bought exept another 10 el homebrew from another guy that was on par with miy yagi.

I worked all continents in 5 days and worked 4 times a Russian South Pole base station in a single week.
    These little Lincolns are very good and can keep up with all other rigs in 10 mtrs SSB.

There are 2 little minors:
    The president Lincoln floats a bit in frequency warming up, and it has no real CW filter so CW is not good in RX.

It had an awfully good and strong audio in SSB TX and got many many compliments on my very strong christal clear audio.

73 Jos

4. W4KSL

Completely understand about the original Lincoln not living up to expectations on CW. I've read some articles on the newer Lincoln 2 and it appears to have some issues with CW also. With that said though I'm newly licensed and I bought one. But A year from now I'll have the new yaesu that's on my wish list. I am saving up to get the yaesu FT-857D. Probably at tax time.

5. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

IN sSb the Lincoln is as good or better in RX as the FT857D wich I have to, and in TX it has a lot better audio as the FT857D.
    It has an awfull gut clear punchy audio in TX and sounds wonderfull that President Lincoln.
    I just screwed a Turner Super Sidekick to the Lincoln and it sounded boomingly good.

As the Lincoln has no CW filter aboard RX in CW is dissapointing, but if you want to do CW with the fT857D you will need to buy the optional Collins CW filter for the Yaesu FT857D to and that also cost far over 100 dollars.

73 Jos

W4KSL likes this.
  6. K8BYP

K8BYP Ham Member QRZ Page

As a member of the "can design and build that" club, its ALL export equipment.

look at the Mighty Bao Feng HT. Look at the general design. Then look at other "name" company radios.

Same thing, diff package, all with the fiddley SMA connector

All this stuff AFAIK is made in China. China now either makes, or is striving TO make, the best equipmenton the face of the earth. They are hungry.

The core problem is semiconductors. No one makes bad semis, they either work or dont.

Sad, no one makes "real Ham gear" in the US any more.

7. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Except for Ten-Tec, Elecraft, SGC.

8. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

I look on some of the "export" gear as useful, well-priced raw materials. Quite a few Euro-hams are using the basic RM Italy amps right out of the box, apparently on all the HF bands. I wanted something small and cheap to go with my QRP CW rig so bought a 300-watt barebones RM, well-known to not produce anywhere near that power but that doesn't bother me. It has a very effective-looking sticker on it that says it is not for use in the USA on 27 MHz. It is also quite well made. I added a lowpass filter, a biasing circuit, and a fan. It should be clean enough on CW now. You will tell me that I could have just bought a "real" linear for that hassle, but to me that is half the fun of amateur radio. Including a server switching power supply I have about $150 into it.

Steve in Okinawa

9. M6KVV

M6KVV Ham Member QRZ Page

theres many many amatuers use cb on there hf set

10. W4KSL

We learn as we go as they say... I ditched the Lincoln 2 for a old stock NEW in box Radio Shack HTX-10 that I found on e-bay and I can tell a world of difference in the two radios. I've learned a lot in the past several months about the technical reasons why the exports aren't liked very much. I have to say that I'm in agreement now that I understand. I love the HTX-10. It's a good starter radio. It's a shame that these radios are not being made any longer. I lurked on e-bay for a few months waiting on a brand new one and as I said got lucky and snagged one from an honest seller. Got a picture of it on my page.