Are export radios really all that bad?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KK6REN, Apr 15, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The RCI-2980WX should have a clean output.

Most distortion is caused by operator error.

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup. Gots to has the Dosy swaaang! I'm with you in thinking the radio puts out more nasty garbage than a busy daycare center. This also explains why the FT-2900 seems to be very popular with the ex-CB crowd. Must be better as it puts out more watts.

3. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This month's QST has a review of an ALinco 10 meter only rig, with many of the same features as these rigs, but only a fraction of the price. And Alinco has a U.S. repair facility last time I looked.

4. KA8DKT

KA8DKT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, 10M only until you plug in the dongle, remove the jumpers or the Rs, then one of the switched sub bands on the unit becomes a certain group of 40 channels on 11M.
    The clues are: Channelized operation instead of a VFO, echo/reverb feature, "Roger Beep". Roger Beep???
    Really.
    The disappointment is that an apparently otherwise legitimate Ham radio equipment manufacturer has stooped to this.
    -gary

5. KM4JZJ

KM4JZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Lincoln II, Quad 5, and RCI all have CW.

6. KA8DKT

KA8DKT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I stand corrected. I knew about the RCIs, I've never seen a Quad 5 or Lincoln II.
    Heck, they all have CW if you turn down the microphone gain control and use the PTT switch as a key...
    -gary

7. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, and the last RCI I heard on CW had so many chirps, "echos", and key clicks on it's signal, I couldn't make out what was being sent.. :mad:

KM5FL

8. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Few of the "export" cb rigs are noted for cleanliness of signal. One of the reviews qst did compared the rci to a 2510, the 2510 was a decent radio in most respects, the rci maybe shouldn't be put on the air it was so bad with tx imd. And that was at rated power, not tweaked as they normally are.
    Four raja break breaka bird watts and pills. Sorry had to get that out of my system.

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That must be why the truckers run them off of 24 Volts.

10. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

When all a person is exposed to is a POS, then when something ever so slightly better comes along, it's perceived as "wonderful".. A clean signal free of IMD, splatter, and a radio having good selectiity, stability, and sensitivity all in one "box" is oh so beyond their comprehension.. :rolleyes:

One of the reasons I don't work ten meters very much is because of all the junk radios being run there.. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.... :p

KM5FL