Are export radios really all that bad?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KK6REN, Apr 15, 2015.

ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

So you are saying it is like a square wave generator ?

I would not think so.

For the power it puts out it may be very clean.

Roger

2. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You're right, Don. That radio may be great.
    It's been a long day and my slapstick timing is off... beep. :eek:

3. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do so many here have obsession with CB? I don't get it.

4. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps it's because CB'ers have just as much obsession with amateur radio. You should hear them chat about us:p.

have fun
    Gary

5. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never heard a CBer talk about hams. Beer, politics and/or their sisters are generally the topics.

6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

My Wards SSB radio doesn't do that, neither does my Sears Roadtalker, or my Johnson Messenger 350.

7. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No kidding... I learned about gravity from a DX-100. We dragged one to Field Day about 1967, and several of us muscled it up on top of a heavy-duty card table, which did not even slow it's fall to the ground!

8. KM4JZJ

KM4JZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a couple of exports that I use on 10 meter. One is the new President Lincoln II and the new Top Gun Technologies Quad 5. Both are excellent radios and preform quite well. In fact, I like the Lincoln II so much, I bought two of them. I also have a new Galaxy DX 98 VHP Big Rig Series 10 meter radio that I'll probably run as a base radio. I would like to run that in my vehicle, but I don't have a hole in my firewall to run the wires through to the battery. It's heavy gauge wires, and the radio puts out up to 200 watts on dead key, and swings 300 watts on modulation. Once I get my tower up, I have a brand new RCI-2980WX 10 meter base radio ready to hook up.

IMG_2867.JPG

95523.jpg

GALAXY98VHP.jpg

51rx-bvsl-l.jpg

9. KA8DKT

KA8DKT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And, I would bet a lunch that it is easily converted to 11M operation with the clip of a wire, removal of an R or two, or a firmware dongle to be connected to the radio's microprocessor board.
    Probably has a PC board made by Galaxy or RCI and the same crappy PLL and dirty frequency synthesizer of all the other "Export" CBs.
    How many of you guys use 10kc channelized radios on 10M? First clue. Echo and "Roger Beep"? Second and third clue. And, are there any HF radios truly designed for Amateur use that do not have a CW mode? Fourth clue. Fifth clue: The layout of all the control knobs on the front panel is essentially identical to the Galaxys, the Connexes, the RCIs, and all the other 10M radios that are really made for 11m operation.
    -gary

10. KA8DKT

KA8DKT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Dead key"??? Does that mean when you push the "key" (PTT) you get no carrier? Must be broken.
    Perhaps you were a CBer before you became a ham, but "dead key" is an exclusive-to-CB term like "swings", and typical of most CB terms related to RF: mangled. (Like "SRWs".) We call it 200W of carrier, and that is hardly "dead". And a measure of an antenna match is the SWR (or, more properly, VSWR). You ought to put a 'scope on the output of these radios, including the 98VHP. Can you say "clipping"? Well, it sounds loud (and proud) anyway... Spectral purity? Fugetaboudit.
    -gary