Are export radios really all that bad?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KK6REN, Apr 15, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

...Or the light-up knobs shaped like a woman't naughty bits.

CB on ham bands OK, as long as it's clean, but not amateur gear on CB band.

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Any radio that is used on the Class D citizens radio service must be type accepted.
    To my knowledge there are no radios that are certified for Class D that also cover ham bands.

3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The last attempt I know to make one that was 'legal' at least until the transmit lockout for 11 meters was disabled, was this one - http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6078 Swan caught a lot of flak from the ham community for building such a thing, hence the name switch to 'Siltronix'.

4. K0SPN

K0SPN Ham Member QRZ Page

Once you modify it to work on the amateur bands, it's no longer type accepted (or whatever the current jargon is), so not legal for use as a CB anymore.
    Though, as mentioned, perfectly legal to buy one and modify it to work on the amateur bands.

5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

in reference to "export" radios, that is a distinction without a difference.

ZS6DX likes this.
  6. AF6LJ

I read an editorial in QST that did not look kindly on Swan.
    But I would point out that the Siltronix 1011 family of radios most likely added a few years of life to Swan Electronics. And Swan was not the only one that contributed to ham gear ending up on 11 meters Heath did also, in a back handed way. My Ex had over a time several Heathkits that he and others had modified using heath crystals and parts.

7. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

I knew of CBers that used Collins S lines, YAESU, Kenwood, Drake 4 Series, Swan, HY-Gain, Johnsons, Hallicrafters or just about any ham equipment that could be modified for 11 meter operation and lets not forget about the big name RF amplifiers as the CBers never worried about using high power for lack of FCC monitoring even in the late 1960s & 1970s. They were also building their own 8877 RF amplifiers for 11 meters. that was a waste of a Rf tube and talent to build such equipment. Then the dual mode AM / FM 11 meter radios hit the market which were for Export only but people bought them and started to operate as Freebanders all the way up into the 10 meter band. You had to catch them red handed and if they were truckers working big trucking companies, it was possible to write a letter to the owners of the trucking companies and carbon copy the FCC at the same time to have that equipment removed or face major fines to the individual truck drivers and the company. I've heard Freebanders outside of the 40 meter band, i.e. 7.350 MHz yakking away and I guess they're probably using frequencies outside of all of the HF Bands, and that could really cause problems for all of us.

8. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

My Heathkit DX-100B was 11M capable right out of the box (and after assembly), complete with VFO. Never got a chance to use it there, though.

9. AF6LJ

My Ex also had an SR-150 wish I had that radio.
    The question is who other than my Ex put an Eico 753 on 11?
    Why you ask, because he could.
    That is what he told me when I asked.

10. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

And when you sold it, the planet tilted ever so slightly :)

Dave
    W7UUU