Are export radios really all that bad?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KK6REN, Apr 15, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KK6REN

KK6REN Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it the radio or the operator?

2. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Depends....Can be either, neither or both.

Most so-called exports are of the type used for CB or Freebanding. Their quality can make the best operator appear to be bad. That's usually the rule but there are exceptions.
    Mostly, rely upon known quality manufacturers of amateur radio equipment. Their reputation is the one on the line if they make something bad. Others just seem to want your hard earned dollars and couldn't really care about how good or bad you sound. Usually it's the latter and most folks with minimum background would be unaware of the problems a low quality unit presents.

Quality doesn't necessarily equate to price. There are some fine units offered at good prices and some real junk from those who sell "Export" radios. Again, there are exceptions but do you know which one to choose? Remember it's your reputation as a good operator that's on the line if you make a poor choice. It is YOUR choice.

Have fun
    Gary

3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Wow.... another thread on this topic!

Dave
    W7UUU

W8ZNX likes this.
  4. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Dave....Think mabbe this is another troll:confused:???

Seriously, I just keep hoping the information finds a receptive reader.

Have fun
    Gary

5. KK6REN

KK6REN Ham Member QRZ Page

Def not a troll. As a matter of fact I follow the FCC laws. I own an export 10 meter and was just curious. Thanks to all who are polite

6. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I have numerous export radios and they work great.
    Kenwood TS990S, exported from Japan.....Works great
    YouKit / Ten Tec R4020 exported from China....Works great
    Elecraft KX3, exported from the US to around the world.....Works great

Datong FL 3 audio filter exported from the UK.....Workd great.

Pay for junk and you get junk, pay for a good rig and you get a good rig. Do your homework and read eham reviews.

ZS6DX likes this.
  7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Virgin, untouched and untweaked, they're OK (read so-so). However, they weren't really built for amateur use -- they just used that as a guise to get them into the U.S. semi-legally. You get what you pay for.

8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You get what you pay for.
    There are a lot of fly by night companies that produce crap like the 148DXL or the Palomar 2400, and other garbage.. There is a shooting star 350 in the garage that in nearly ways is a good example of what not to buy.
    Unless you have a great deal of technical knowledge I wouldn't spend money on them. Truthfully not even an RCI. Get an IC-718 or a TS-50, or an Alenco..

9. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wasn't aware that you already had an IC-718 that you're looking to sell when I recommended one. What's the problem with it? If the goal is to have a rig that works on both 10 and 11 meters, there aren't any that legally do that.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

So you can not buy a CB and use it on ham bands also ?

Seems like that would be OK.

May not get the Chrome heatsink, That would be a bit of a bummer.