ad: k1jek

Are antennas altered in the presence of carbon fiber masts?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KX4O, Mar 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

AK5B and KX4O like this.
  2. KX4O

KX4O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmm, good thinking. A bit lossy perhaps, but should function in some form. The 60 second design in my head includes a metallic sleeve at the bottom (capacitive coupling) to a stake in the ground (or a tossed wire?) and the toroid feed just above. The epitome of simple. Well worth a go.

3. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

But an aircracft has a much larger diameter structure between entry and exit points than a carbon fiber mast/tower. So the current density is much higher dan in an aircraft skin, I think. Seems pretty challenging to me.

4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

The bisulcate hoof would be far more appropriate for the playing the bass than the guitar.

5. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Carbon fiber mast been in sailboats for years. Mixed bag of results whether copper mesh wrapped or with an internal conductor as a ground. Some have taken direct hits with no damage but insurance asks for non destructive testing after (very expensive)
    Some stories exist of the mast exploding/shattering at the time of the strike or later when sailing after the strike. I think the biggest issue is if you take a strike you need to replace it and its big bucks.

Mast are pretty inexpensive now so some experimentation over time would be worthwhile. I planning on dithering with some down the road and copper mesh is in my plan using it as a radiator or just copper tape to be cheap. Still aluminum is cheap by comparison and I think will win out in the end.

6. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Sounds like a mast only to used at night. :D

7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I might add that, just because there is a measurable effect, it doesn't necessarily have to be detrimental. One can always tune the antenna to accommodate the carbon members. Carbon members have so many great advantages.

8. KL7AJ

W5ZZ likes this.
  9. W8ASA

W8ASA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What years? I flew as a TO out of Phu Bai Viet Nam in 1968 as part of a special voice ARDF program.

10. KL7AJ

And don't forget the dielectric constant!

Attached Files:

11. K5SDW

K5SDW Ham Member QRZ Page

Was it constantly holding position on the field because "Sparky the FlameLiner" is doing an emergency return due to a battery fire? That was my experience with them. Hope yours was better.

12. KX4O

KX4O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As one can tune an antenna system to accommodate nearby conductors... sure. The Yagi-Uda is one example.
    Very interesting paper, but discusses short carbon fiber composite. CFC with structural capabilities has long linear carbon threads overlapping in various directions creating the conductive properties at issue.

13. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not that old LOL. 3rd MI AEB in Korea 1985-1990. The RC-12G (Crazy Horse) in Honduras. Then I started jumping out planes :)

Thank you for your service and flying that awesome aircraft!

14. HZ1BW

HZ1BW Ham Member QRZ Page

Good experiment

KX4O likes this.
  15. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Only the feedline is radiating. Remove the common mode current on the feedline and you see no radiation.