AR OPS the most "persnickety" of the hobby groupings

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5INC, Feb 13, 2019 at 6:33 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5INC

W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So which group of "enthusiasts" is more anal retentive, persnickety, finicky when involved in their hobby? Photo bugs, audiophiles, automobile gear heads, AR OPs, birders, fishing aficionados (tellers of tall tales), readers, computer game players or whatever other hobby is out there today? What say yee? :)

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

ALL are, equally IMO. It's just the nature of hobbies - the more hardcore the hobbyist, the more persnickety they get. The more knowledgeable they become through their own skills at the hobby, the more they demand others reach the same skill level.

Doesn't much matter what the hobby itself is - they're all about the same.

Dave
    W7UUU

K4AGO, WD0BCT, WD4IGX and 4 others like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham radio? Not even close. Go observe the Nikon Canon wars on the photography groups or <choke> the Xbox vs. PlayStation wars on video game groups. I will admit it doesn't get much more anal than Hi-Fi. ;)

For one thing...this is a social hobby. We've, most of us, been brought up to be polite to each other on the air, and that means we are FAIRLY polite, I think, to each other even on the Zed. :p

KI4AX, K4AGO and N1FMV like this.
  4. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Without doubt and beyond question, "scale" model railroaders! Put the wrong color S===t in the toilet of your caboose and watch out!

KI4AX and WR2E like this.
  5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing wrong with being passionate about your passion.

NL7W and K1TGX like this.
  6. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Audiophiles or foodies/chefs. It never sounds or tastes good enough.

7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Audiophiles just seem to make 5h1t up though. Even if everything is perfect they'll find SOMETHING to b1tc4 about.

"ohhhh, those drivers are coloring the soundstage... "

W1TRY likes this.
  8. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

What -- no one has mentioned the Ford/Chevy/MoPar gear-head wars?

K3EY and N9CAV like this.
  9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I always thought the audiophools were the cream of the persnickety crop....

N1FMV likes this.
  10. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Audiophiles. Probably some of the idiocy (crappy 1950s capacitors for big bux, "ground box" with magic dirt, etc) they get into is more about coloring the sound some way that they approve of, rather than making it somehow more perfect. I'm sure they'd deny it.