Apt-get , git , install...anybody care to discuss?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AA7EJ, Aug 12, 2017 at 6:06 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is something which has been bugging me and I just cannot find from Mrs. Google “who is on first” to learn about all these different ways to get application onto my Linux /Ubuntu system .

(Fine if you found it, just post a link , no “RTFM' comments needed)

From recent experience on this forum I hope I will not get flamed if I ask here.

I am asking for just some additional comment on the following:

Getting desired application process is pretty straight forward – retrieve a file(s) form source and make it executable on your system.

Let's start with – vendors software – you can “download “, usually compressed file, and your OS will take care of that – on Ubuntu the file ends up in “Download “ folder.

Than you can do “extract “ to folder of your choice , and if you can identify (!) the “executable” file in the extracted bunch your application can “Run” start.

Now there are at least two other ways to retrieve executable file.

Command ”apt-get” is one , the other some mysterious combination which has “git” in in somewhere.

The “apt-get” is just app, now you add “options” - for example “apt_get install eclipse_cdt “ triggers waterfall of lines in “Terminal”. Pretty fast , so it is a challenge to see all those “triggers”, “headers”, “packages” etc. When it is all done , back to the Terminal” prompt , just entering the app – eclipse - in my example , starts it.

Two things are missing here – the “apt-get” option is looking for “repository” where the application you trying to get is located. Public (?) data place and is specified where ?

For example Raspberry Pi repository is pretty extensive – ton of SDR and other amateur radio related software to get.

Second – the “apt_get” did retrieved “eclipse” - without the “CDT” suffix , and few other “dependencies”.

Command “git” works similar.

All this so far Linux /Ubuntu stuff , but here comes Eclipse version Oxygen and now one need to download “Eclipse installer “.

What is going on? Just because other OS been using “installer” from get go ?

But it works after I installed Java dependency – which “apt-get” would probably done for me if programmed to do so.

In closing, I do not need step by step “how it works”, just some comments on stuff like “ what is trigger?”

Please read - I did not ask WHO is Trigger.

73 Shirley

2. N9NAY

N9NAY Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

apt-get is part of apt, which stands for Advanced Package Manager. It expands upon Debian's generic package management, or the bits that install .deb files. Another part of apt that you may want is 'aptitude', which helps find and manage tools with a little more granularity than apt-get.

Your distribution repositories should be already set.

Git, is an entirely different beast. Git is software version control, and while it does allow you to install software, it is outside the distributions package management and dependency tools.

4. K5UNX

K5UNX Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's simplify a little.

apt-get - Just as KA8NCR says. . . It should be the main way you get applications installed in Linux, assuming you are using Ubuntu/Debian distort. apt-get installs packages which is how Linux software is distributed. Here is a cheat sheet of sorts:

https://www.tecmint.com/useful-basic-commands-of-apt-get-and-apt-cache-for-package-management/

You will also use apt-get to apply updates to your system and installed applications.

apt-get update # will update the repository info on your compute so it will know of you have up to date repo data.
    apt-get upgrade # will apply any existing updates to your machine.

Those and more are in that cheat sheet in the link above.

K6CLS likes this.
  5. KK4GGL

KK4GGL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why are you using apt-get?
    Does the software manager not show your wanted packages? That may be Software Center.
    I usually install Synaptic on my distros except for OpenSuse.

6. KB3VWG

KB3VWG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll have to go with KA8NCR...I think you might need to learn a little more about APT...

Also...why are you downloading the source code?
    'apt-get install' will download the already compiled software for your OS and CPU.

It seems you are taking code, and trying to compile it elsewhere??? (Are you trying to work on a deeper solution again???)
    That's not the [main] purpose of using APT to get code, given, there's also a way to compile and install using that method. You don't seem to be doing so from your description.

Also see: https://linux.die.net/man/8/apt

PLEASE BE ADVISED: AS KK4GGL ALLUDED TO, THERE ARE HIGHER (AND LOWER) LEVEL PROGRAMS THAT USE APT, ESPECIALLY ON A GUI SYSTEM. IT'S BETTER TO USE THOSE PROGRAMS.

ALSO, YOU ARE GETTING INTO LOW-LEVEL THINGS; LIKE WHAT INSTALLERS NEED WHAT PACKAGE DEPENDENCIES...SUCH A MAP EXISTS HERE:
    https://packages.ubuntu.com/

"Who" is the trigger...very vague question...If you are referring to download and installing software...or code...on a Ubuntu system, see the package link above, or:

https://linux.die.net/man/1/dpkg
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/76/whats-the-difference-between-package-managers

- KB3VWG

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 5:02 PM
  7. AA7EJ

On the contrary - it does not show currently installed Eclipse.
    I think some GUI applications are poorly implemented or missing few options available using command.

Raspberry Pi Raspbian for instance "Add Remove Software" won't terminate, its window has to be closed
    Am I picky? Did software QA for living for few years.

Besides - there are "applications" not implemented in GUI , here is one

os64@os64-desktop:~$ uname -a
    Linux os64-desktop 4.4.0-91-generic #114~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 9 08:47:26 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    os64@os64-desktop:~$

Thank for participating in this discussion.

73 Shirley

8. AA7EJ

Thanks,
    so far I am only interested in already compiled for my hardware applications.
    I need to learn more about "make" before I will do my own compiling.
    Just went thru a tutorial on implementing TCF and did it "cut and paste" style without really understanding each step.
    I'll try to find some useful app I could try using GUI to install it - maybe fldigi? So far I do not need it.

Trigger(s) messages pup up when apt_get install is executed , so do "headers" and bunch of other info.
    Probably something while "make" is being run.
    But that is not important, will find out later.

Thanks '
    Shirley

9. KK4GGL

KK4GGL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Package management software such as Software Center or Synaptic will pull dependencies in with the installation. it will also show packages installed with apt or aptitude. If dependencies are not already installed, apt should show messages telling you what's needed.

Using Synaptic, I can see Eclipse in the standard repository on my Pi.

AFAIK, uname is not implemented in any GUIs.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You make people want to comment. Why do your threads start with comments like that ?

No need to have a manual.

I had no manual to help me. Why do you need one ?

I only hold my girlfriends hand.