ad: MyersEng-1

APRS with a Baofeng, Bluetooth TNC by Mobilinkd

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, May 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AE5MA

AE5MA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used the same cable with my Baofeng and it worked for a short time. Now the "aprs tones"being transmitted do not sound like standard two part tones, it sounds like one buzz and the vox transmits 2 to 3 times. I have adjusted the vox settings to no avail. ??

2. OE3ATB

OE3ATB Ham Member QRZ Page

Attached Files:

3. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No "prepper" in his right mind would use APRS. The very idea is counter productive to the core concept of "prepping"...which is NOT to be tracked

4. AD5IX

AD5IX Ham Member QRZ Page

I see they have a limited schematic. And a brief scan of there site revealed a 'hacking' section. Is this in any way open sourced?

5. K7XRL

K7XRL Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? Because I only hear APRS signals when I intentionally tune to 144.39

The rest of the time, I monitor the 99% idle linked repeater network that covers half the state.

Yep, all that QRM from APRS is really making it hard to communicate on 2 meters. :rolleyes:

6. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

And what do you hear on 144.39? A bunch of unmanned stations telling you they are on (fixed base stations) over and over again. Many have wind sensors so low to the ground they are completely useless.
    Its like digipeating that you are a digipeater.

The idea of digipeating is great but it would be better to exchange information via packet radio rather than just broadcast nothing via packet beacon.

Surprised they don't beacon the day of the week lol.

7. AE7RZ

AE7RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

8. K7POC

K7POC Ham Member QRZ Page

The bluetooth tnc mentioned works great with many radios. You can use it with most radios not just uv-5r's. You just need the right cable. The cheapie $20buck cable option will work on many other HT's. They need to have vox and the standard uv-5r pin out. I have had no issues using the cable. Although it is not as versatile or fun as the BT TNC. Most of the performance problems people have can be tracked back to the uv-5r radios they are using. QC is iffy at best, the squelch is slow, the receiver is not that great and most antennas you can buy for them are junk. Spend $50 bucks on a better chi-com HT. I like the Luiton LT-188h or LT-8w. Both work well with the mobilnked tnc and the $20buck Bao-tech vox cable. They work much better than my uv-5r on aprs RX and TX

kpoc

9. KE7DUX

KE7DUX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am going to update my question with my own findings and notes.

1. Correct, must have a phone or other device to be the brain (GPS and APRS Software)
    2. Yes, it can be disconnected from the internet, a $20-30 prepaid phone from walmart works fine

I went the VOX route for now, as if it didn't work, I would be out ~$20. Here are some notes:
    1. Get the premade btech vox cable. At $18, it literally "just works", is easy to get on amazon.
      • I tried a number of circuits, and after spending $15 on parts, trrs connectors, and hours of fiddling, I could not get anything to work except a circuit on a breadboard modeled after the below github link:
      • Alternative is building this: https://github.com/johnboiles/BaofengUV5R-TRRS, which I am almost positive is what the btech cable is.
      • One of the major issues, is getting the phone to recognize a microphone so aprsdroid can decode from the radio
    2. VOX is finicky on the Baofengs. I actually have mine on one of the LEAST sensitive setting, otherwise it trips itself, and when in a car, is always tripping due to the car electrical system.
    3. SQL is also finicky and nearly useless on Baofengs.
      • Its slow, barely works, and the lowest setting is....not low enough.
      • When SQL is open, the radio does not seem to be able to transmit via VOX. So, you cannot just set the SQL to always be receiving.
    Bottom line, $80 for the mobilink is very expensive IMO - I wish there was a cheaper option with no case etc. But having tried the VOX, and realizing how nice it could be to have the phone in the car with me instead of trunk, as well as pure ease of use and ability to use with non-vox equipped radios, I'd say it wouldn't be a BAD purchase. For example, I have a near useless 2m, Heath HT (doesnt have tones), that I could use for this with the mobilink that would likely work much better than this baofeng.

Here is the current setup:

Portable:
    (Note the interface - this idea ended up getting scrapped for btech cable off amazon)
    [​IMG]

Mobile:

(In the trunk, Always-On Cig Lighter is handy in this car)
    [​IMG]

(Chrome antenna on the right is dedicated to the APRS tracker at the moment).
    [​IMG]

10. KB4TOX

KB4TOX Ham Member QRZ Page

BUY AMERICAN......China owns enough of us already...