APRS Question

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KO4JKO, Jun 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KO4JKO

KO4JKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello All...What do you like about APRS?
    Thanks,
    KO4JKO

2. KX4O

KX4O Ham Member QRZ Page

It's standardized.

K0IDT likes this.
  3. KO4JKO

That is a good reason.

4. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It can work without the Internet, and send messages outside your normal range

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    KG4RRH likes this.
  5. KO4JKO

K8XG Thanks for clarifying the no need for wifi. I wondered about that.

6. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a useful tool that is capable of tracking and basic messaging to communicate. Added capability is achieved with the addition of igates to send email from the radio to a web enabled device and to send sms text messages to any phone via SMSGATE and receive SMS texts back to your radio.

7. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Internet adds extra things like messages to Cell Phones and Email; but the main thing for me is Radio to Radio messaging works without internet and Igates [Internet gates] needing to run. Also if you want to message a Cell phone or email, you don't need internet, just need to be in range of an IGATE.

If none local, you can use JS8Call to send APRS messages over HF

8. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can keep track of the YL when she's out and about. ;) YL is also a ham. Seriously though, it's a safety thing for us.

We live in a very rural area and she drives on a lot of remote roads. There are some nicely equipped iGates connected to very high antennas in neighboring towns. I've had her spotted in some heavily forested areas by stations at 60-80 miles distant.

KF0FBK likes this.
  9. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Yaesu FTM-400xdr and I watch the decodes of APRS from time to time but, don't really know or understand what it is used for except "Hello this is where I am" type of beacons.

I think, my limited understanding of it, goes way back to the beginning of APRS or packet radio and my limited understanding of it, never advanced beyond that.

So, for me its an oddity and a niche part of ham radio.

10. KO4JKO

Do you use often?