APRS Newbie- can't decode anything

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by N7RP, Dec 3, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N7RP

N7RP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently got an IC9700 and am trying to figure out how to do APRS. I am using a Mac and have tried numerous programs both on the Mac side and running windows with parallels. Using SoundModem, I can see that audio is going into the program looking at the waterfall and have tried both using audio from 144.390 and even using packet audio samples off the internet and I never get any decoded with any program I have tried. It seems like there must be some fundamental thing I am missing. I have looked at the various youtube videos and I just don't see what I am doing wrong.

Allan
    N7RP

2. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The IC-9700 has multiple options for what can be sent out over the various connections. With SoundModem, I have used the IC-9700 connected via USB. I had to set the radio to send AF over USB as opposed to IF for SoundModem to work.

3. N7RP

I am making a little headway. I finally figured out how to successfully transmit APRS pack on 144.390 and have it show up on the APRS map online. I did this using a program for the Mac. I have still not figured out how to get anything to decode even though I see stuff in the water fall. I am correct in thinking that I should be able to set the radio on 144.390 FM and be able to decode what is being transmitted on 144.390.... and if I just record what I am transmitting on 144.390 to the computer, then "play" it back into the Packet program (Soundmodem or other programs) that they should be able to decode what I am transmitting?

4. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Squelch setting if set too high doesn't allow the start of the packet to be heard resulting in no decode. Start with open squelch and work up...

5. N7RP

I have had the squelch open.... so there must be something else I am doing wrong

6. N7RP

I found the missing link.... I had NR turned on... once I turned it off, I was able to decode using sound modem

KC9ONY, WD9EWK and KE5MC like this.
  7. LAVANYA

LAVANYA QRZ Member

Hi Allan,
    I am working on ICOM IC-9700 radio and trying to decode APRS data via USB..i came across your post,which is what i was exactly trying to do..Can you please give me detailed information on how to get this working with Soundmodem.
    Thanks
    Lavanya