ad: portazero-1

APRS from an aircraft?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WA7ARK, Sep 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

I read Byon's on-line data sheet for the TT3plus. No-where does it mention switching messages based on altitude, only logic-level at a port pin, same as TT3.

2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used the TinyTrak 3 for quite a few high altitude ballon flights without having to set anything. Byronics sells one already programmed for that use..... all I've ever done is power it up, and let her go.

3. BILLYBOB560

BILLYBOB560 QRZ Member

Seems to me you'd want that switch to be based on AGL altitude, not GPS altitude. No?

Your Ardueno would need to access a Terrain Database (based on GPS position) and subtract that from GPS Alt to make the decision.

(if 'twer me: I'd just operate the switch manually, or simply not mess with it... :) )

BB

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  4. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Ideally, Yes...

I have a GPS with a built-in terrain database, however there is no way to interrogate that via a serial port.

5. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

opentracker.jpg Never mind - my bad :oops:
    It is my Argent Tracker - OpenTracker - that has an altitude switch. Too many toys :rolleyes:

6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

ADS-B using Flightradar24!

7. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

That too, but the cheapest Argent Tracker is $45 and the cheapest ADS-B transceiver plus installation is probably 100 times that. Now if you need ADS-B anyway, then it is free to tell someone how to track you.

8. K4LCA

K4LCA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, this
    Thanks, this had the answer I was looking for, although the link doesn't work, that's the setting I need. Operating at 17K mapping over the Tetons.