ad: cq2k-1

APRIL 1-2, 2017 THE AM RALLY aka "Behind the AM Button"

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by N1BCG, Jan 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not as much activity as I hoped.

2. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Because AM is used in the AM unless you have a pulse modulated rig, then PM

3. K1RCT

K1RCT Ham Member QRZ Page

WTH is that broadcast on 7280 AM?

4. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd bet they didn't even ask if the frequency was in use!

K1RCT and K2HAT like this.
  5. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Sorry I did not turn on the radio much over the last 4 days, and did not use AM even for RX,
    I did listen to Led Zep on Sirius radio in my vehicle. ;)

6. WB4IUY

WB4IUY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, I've got to say, I had a blast during the rally. Lots of rag chewing and such, along with logging some contacts. I have a few observations, questions, and comments ...

First, thanks to all who helped make this happen. It has been great working folks who were using all types of equipment, and with all experience levels. I think the rally was a real eye opener for many folks who had never tried the mode, and helped a LOT of people muster the confidence to set their rig up and try AM.

On the logging program, here's three things I've noticed, in case it helps with future releases. Also, perhaps there are work-arounds, and I just didn't see them:

1- When I close and re-open the logger, there's always a space in all call signs between the call # and the first letter of the suffix. Is there a setting to stop that, or is that a normal function of the logger for sorting purposes?

2- I'd like to be able to sort by date, haven't figured that one out. I found I'd often put in someone's call and info while listening, but move on to work someone else (because of a pileup or whatever). I would work the person I had entered their info later, and simply put in the time/date and edit the freq if needed. They would be out of sequence in the date/time column, and I can't figure out how to sort them to correct that.

3- One last comment about the logging software comes to mind, though it may be too much effort to implement... I just finished translating the files from my AMRally logger to my regular logging program (ACLog). It would be great if the amrally logging program could export a .adif compatible file for importing into standard logging programs, so we could have those to upload to LOTW, QRZ, eQSL, etc. Just a thought, and there may already be a way to do it, but I'm not smart enough to figure that out.

4- As far as my Rally operating status, how does one manage properly submit their logs when operating one class on one band, and a different class on a different band? For example, I was running category C4 on 40M, and E4 on 75M.

Dave WB4IUY
    www.WB4IUY.net

7. WA1QIX

WA1QIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comments on the rally. It was indeed a great event and lots of fun :)

On the logger - the space between the prefix (I.E. WA1) - everything up to the district number and the suffix (I.E. QIX) is part of the sorting. The logger has the ability to sort in various ways, by district then by suffix, by suffix only, etc. The space is easily changed - it is actually there to make it easier to see a callsign - usually people mostly look for the suffix since it is the most unique part of the call. A setting could be added.

The sort by date is the "default" sort if no other sort is in play, but we could make it clearer for sure (like make it an option).

the .ADIF format is definitely interesting. This is the first time we've been asked for that feature and maybe it's a good one to have. Allow for importing as well as exporting to that format might be a good thing. The logger keeps its files as plain text ( | separated values with a header), so it would also be super-easy for anyone who wanted to come up with a simple converter to do so.

Feedback is good !!

Regards, Steve

8. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of ops participated in the AM Rally for fun, not points, and did not keep a log. It would be a huge help to count those ops in support of AM and making the AM Rally an annual event.

Please be counted and email your callsign to logs@amrally.com

Even better, include your transmitter and power information:

A) Vacuum tube / Commercially made
    B) Vacuum tube / Home made
    C) Solid State / Commercially made
    D) Solid State / Home made
    E) Hybrid / Commercially made
    F) Hybrid / Home made
    G) Converted AM Broadcast
    H) Military
    I) Software based/defined (SDR)

1) 5 Watts or less (QRP)
    2) Greater than 5 up through 30 Watts
    3) Greater than 30 up through 100 Watts
    4) Greater than 100 up through 250 Watts
    5) Greater than 250 Watts, to the FCC legal limit

A form for submitting this information is also located at www.amrally.com

Thanks for helping make this event a success!