APRIL 1-2, 2017 THE AM RALLY aka "Behind the AM Button"

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions and Special Events' started by N1BCG, Jan 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. N6YFM

N6YFM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Any tips on setting up an Icom 7300 and adjusting modulation?
    I plan to use my Icom 7300 and this will be my first time using AM.
    So, yes, while I know the manual has the basics, do any of you have experience
    using this specific rig on A.M.?

What is your favorite way to set the modulation level on A.M.?

Cheers

2. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice! The 7300 is often used as an example of a modern transceiver with great AM sound. As for settings, that's very model specific and how the ALC metering works is key.

A universal suggestion that applies to all modern rigs is to run the AM carrier power at 20-25% of the SSB PEP power. This ensures that there's enough headroom for 100% modulation. So, for a 100 Watt SSB rig, the max carrier power would be 25 Watts, although 20 would be perfectly fine too. Even without an amp, that's enough for 40M and I've had several QSOs with an op running a K2 at 2W on 75M!

Admittedly, it's not the same, but my IC706 sounds best when the ALC indication peaks one bar below where the manual suggests. This is likely because I use an external processor so the audio density is higher.

Any IC7300 owners with some specific suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  3. W6FYK

W6FYK Ham Member QRZ Page

Will be on 50.4 but there is no AM on 10M for me.

If they can hear me I can work them.

4. N1BCG

Are you a member of a club or do you know any Generals who might host you for a bit this weekend? I'd love to make an AM contact on 50.4 but I'm in a valley with poor VHF conditions.

5. W6FYK

More frequencies would work for Technicians.
    Will listen for you on 10.

6. N1BCG

Do you have an HF receiver? Lots of AM on 75M (3870-3890) and 40M (7280-7300).

7. W6FYK

FT-817
    I am a Technician.
    25 years.
    WAS 50Mhz.

8. KW4KC

KW4KC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I looked on the amrally web page and I can't seem to find if there is a formatted exchange... Does anyone know what the exchange is supposed to be at a minimum?

9. N1BCG

Very casual, like A.M. Just enough info for filling out the log (see www.amrally.com) or you can chat as long as you and the other stations choose.

10. W0WDF

W0WDF Ham Member QRZ Page

I got the TS-590S and the SB-1000 set up last night and had a QSO with a gentleman running a Viking Ranger.
    He said the Kenwood sounded good and he wouldn't have known it was a rice box if I hadn't told him.
    I'm not going to change anything and run it like it is. Ready for the Rally !

KA4KOE and WB4IUY like this.