Appropriate Content For a QRZ Page.

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by W1RNY, May 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1RNY

W1RNY Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to know if anyone can tell me if the following would be appropriate content for my QRZ page.....and how it might be done with or without "expert" help in setting it up.

I am retired. One of my interests/projects is better defining and promoting my grandfather's legacy. His name was Hugo Gernsback. Most people, if they have heard of him, know that he is the Father of Science Fiction for whom the Hugo Award was named.

What most amateur radio operators do not know is that he was instrumental in promoting both commercial and amateur radio in the early days. His Wireless Association, 1909, preceded the ARRL. In October 1915, he chartered the Radio Relay League of America. See the following article: https://earlyradiohistory.us/1915rla.htm

In the early days, radio Amateurs were often a mischievous bunch, calling in false alarms for instance. In 1910, the US government began attempts through legislation, to reign them in. This was in part the rationale for the creation of the Wireless Association of America and the Radio Relay League of America. He wanted to change public perception of amateurs by instilling in them ethics and character. For this and more about Gernsback, please see: https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-News/hugo_pub.pdf

Gernsback came to the US from Luxembourg at the age of 19 because he wanted to obtain a patent in the US for a dry cell battery for which he was unable to obtain a patent in France or Germany. He started out as an inventor. He had something like 80 patents many of which were odd, to say the least. For example, this was his solution to having a little bit of peach, quiet, and solitude:
    [​IMG]

https://laughingsquid.com/the-isolator-bizarre-helmet-1925/

Gernsback was also a friend and colleague of many of the luminaries of his day including Marconi, DeForest, Edison, Tesla, Sarnoff, and Goddard to name a few. He eventually went into publishing which is when he created the genre scientifiction, the original name for science fiction. He was a broadcaster himself. He had a commercial station, WRNY (Radio New York) from which he was the second individual to broadcast TV signals. Additionally, he was a sear. He predicted many of the modern contrivances we take for granted today....smartphones, Skype among others.

The sole reason I would like to do this is as I said, to better define and promote my grandfather's legacy, especially with respect to amateur radio. I don't think most amateurs know anything about his contributions to amateur radio and I would like to change that.

I have a fair amount of material. In 2015 I contributed to an exhibit at the Tesla Museum in Belgrade about communication between Gernsback and Tesla during the publication in Gernsback's The Electrical Experimenter of what would become Tesla's autobiography, My Inventions.

Of course, I will post some things about my own interests in amateur radio, but it is my hope that what I am proposing is considered acceptable and appropriate because my intent is for it to be educational.

I am open to your questions and suggestions.

Here are some pictures:

Mad Scientist at Work.jpg Young HG, Mad Scientist at Work. ~Age 8, circa 1892

Hugo Ship.jpg
    Young Gernsback, Age 19, 1903 on his journey to NYC

Gernsback Crater.jpg

Gernsback Crater, Sorry, It is On the Dark Side
    As one of six surviving grandchildren, I have a claim to one-sixth of it.
    Since the other grandchildren are not interested, its mine, all mine!
    I don't know what I should put up first, a remote amateur shack or a water slide?

Menzel Ltr Naming Gernsback Crater B_W 2.jpg
    Letter from Astronomer and Astrophysicist, Donald Menzel to Gernsback's son, M. Harvey Gernsback, announcing the creation of Gernsback Crater, 1970. Let's face it, everyone should receive such a letter...."It is a nice one, located at....it is about 30 miles in diameter and I know Hugo himself would have been very pleased with it." Well, I am not so sure of that, a lake with beachfront property would have been better.

[​IMG]
    Finally, Frank R. Paul was an artist and illustrator who collaborated with Gernsback. His iconic depiction of Gernsback's imagination would define an era of pulp magazine art. His images were certainly burned into my imagination as a child.

The picture above depicted what Gernsback envisioned a Martian would look like. His martian was perfect for the rarified Martian atmosphere, replete with large ears to magnify sound and a long nose to do the same with the thin air. As for the bulging eyes and webbed feet....when I run into the guy, I will ask him!

thf157880.jpg
    So, you had your eye on an ICOM IC 7300 but you don't want to drain your piggy bank. Have I got a deal for you! This is a replica given by Gernsback to the Ford Museum. The Telimco, a name derived from Gernsback's lower manhattan store, the Electro Importing Company which sold radio and other electronic parts and components for radio amateur enthusiasts, was the first commercially available two-way radio for sale selling for the outrageous price of $7.00.

Gernsback often told people how the Mayor of NYC sent a police officer to arrest him for fraud because he did not believe a two-way radio could sell for such a low price. A demonstration of the device was all that was necessary to send the police officer on his way.

Is the paid QRZ page worth it?

I am open to any suggestions.

K8PG, WR2E and W0AQ like this.
  2. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HI ANDREW,

GREETINGS FROM SALEM, NH.

I DON'T HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR YOU BUT DO WANT TO SAY THANK YOU
    FOR SHARING YOUR HERITAGE WITH YOUR QRZ FRIENDS.

RADIO NEWS NOVEMBER 1928

hugo gernsback.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Gernsback

ALL I CAN SAY IS THREE CHEERS FOR HUGO.........BRAVO.......

AND FOR BEING ABLE TO CAPTURE THE CALL SIGN
    OF W1RNY

73 - K1LKP

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  3. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's certainly interesting stuff, and I would think it would be OK for any webpage here. Thanks for posting this, it was very interesting!

4. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a good looking TV.

5. W1RNY

He was initially against any government invervention in amateur operations. But, after the Titanic fiasco....lots of interference with emergency comm, he realized some regulations were necessary. In his catalogue, Modern Electrics, he published an editorial which the predecessor to the FCC used almost word for work.

Anyway, I really appreciate your help. It is good to know that amateurs will be interested to learn about him.

K1LKP likes this.
  6. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Andrew, we're usually interested in stuff like this. Well some of us are anyway! I was going to say that it was a good subject for a QRZ post, then realized that would be redundant! o_O

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can do it here you can do it on your QRZ page. Interesting stuff. I am old enough to remember the name, Hugo Gernsback.

K8PG likes this.
  8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

It would seem that a regular website on the internet would be in order.

I am quite sure that although I would not remember 'meeting' Hugo, that at one time I was in his presence.

I grew up in the town where Frederick Pohl lived a large part of his life and raised his family. I was schoolmates with one of his daughters. You may recognize Fred's name as one of the Sci Fi Guys from the same era.

Anyway... Mr. Pohl used to host backyard barbecues at his home. I went to a few of them when I was in my early teens. There were LOTS of science fiction writers there, and I'm sure that Hugo was among them.

Your Grandfather was a cool dude.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  9. W1RNY

Was this when Pohl was in NJ or IL?
    My original plan was to create a dedicated website and I have registered several domains. However, the problem with that is keeping in in perpetuity when I am gone. The Internet Archive is another possibility. But, for now, QRZ seems to be the best bet, especially since it is the ham radio aspect of my grandfather's life that is not as well known as his role in Sci Fi.

I think Hams, especially "old timers," wil most appreciate the material I can post....there is quite a lot!

K3XR likes this.
  10. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

The stuff you want folks to see is gone when the domain expires. The stuff you don't is out there forever. :oops:

I found your first post an interesting read. Thanks!