ad: elecraft

Appalachian Trail 100th Anniversary on-the-air Saturday, October 2nd

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by WB2FUV, Aug 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB2FUV

WB2FUV Ham Member QRZ Page

Celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail in the eastern United States by activating a SOTA summit or a POTA park along the 2,190 mile-long path. The date is Saturday, October 2, 2021, from 1200-2100 UTC (8 am-5 pm EDT). Activators work other activators and chasers, while chasers work AT activators.

The A.T. crosses more than 40 SOTA summits and passes thru 6 national parks, 8 national forests and more than 65 state parks and forests with POTA designations. The national trail itself has a POTA National Trail designation K-4556. This is not a contest and there are no awards. In addition to posting your usual SOTA Alerts and/or POTA Schedules, the website www.ATontheair.com will have a list of activators arranged by STATE updated weekly. See the Guidelines page. Please choose your location and send your activation alert to me before September 29th at ATontheair@gmail.com

A list of SOTA summits in the vicinity of the AT is posted on www.ATontheair.com 4. There is also a link to an on-line interactive map of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail together with other information. This activity day is impromptu and not sanctioned by any national organization.

After the event, I plan to post a Summary Report listing the activators, chasers, SOTA summits and POTA parks, number of contacts, etc. Thanks for participating in Appalachian Trail on-the-air.

KI4POT, N3RYB and WJ4U like this.
  2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

This could be fun. I'll try to get out, but I need to decide where I want to set up. I'll probably combine a SOTA activation with it.

Chris

3. WB2FUV

Thanks Chris. Let me know where you pick. If it's just a spot along the trail (K-4556) let me know the state and county.

KI4POT likes this.
  4. WB2FUV

Appalachian Trail on-the-air is Saturday, October 2, 2021. If you plan to activate along the AT (K-4556) by itself (not inside another POTA park or SOTA summit reference), please be sure to include your STATE (and maybe your COUNTY) in your alert message to let chasers know your approximate location.
    Keep in mind that K-4556 crosses 14 states !!! More details at www.ATontheair.com

Hope to hear you on-the-air from the Appalachian National Scenic Trail on October 2, 2021.
    Stay well & 73!
    Mike, WB2FUV

AT-ONTHEAIR-OCT2.jpg

5. WB2FUV

SOTA activators please note a clarification to Guidelines for this event. SOTA activators should be within the Appalachian Trail corridor, as shown on the official Trail Map See https://appalachiantrail.org/explore/hike-the-a-t/interactive-map/ . This certainly meets the spirit of our event. Any SOTA activators who plan to also submit their log to POTA should try to conform to the stricter POTA rule which requires the station to be within 100 feet of the trail (footpath). In some cases, a short spur trail leaves the centerline AT to reach a summit.

6. WB2FUV

Let's not get too specific here. If your SOTA summit is NEAR the Appalachian National Scenic Trail, that's good enough!! It's the spirit of the event to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the AT. 73! Mike, WB2FUV