Apollo 11 Comms

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG7LEA, Jul 17, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like they were monitoring the signals between the LEM and Command Module:

http://www.arrl.org/eavesdropping-on-apollo-11

N2EY likes this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes...and the antenna was a corner reflector, not a dish.

If he was listening, you can be sure the Soviets were too.

QST for June, 1972 details the success of W4HHK and K2RIW in receiving the S-band downlink audio from Apollo 15 using backyard antennas and receivers. W4HHK used an 18 foot surplus dish and K2RIW used a homebrew 12 foot dish described in QST about the same time.

They received transmissions from the CSM when the CSM was using the high gain antenna.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  3. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes,the N1 had 30+ engines The Russians spun their wheels for almost 2 years trying to figure out how to build a navigation system that could steer the rocket reliably. That's why Roger was so giddy talking about his work with the Saturn V gimbals he was developing at the same time for the Saturn V.....we had the answer and he knew it. They just had to work out the oscillations, or pogo, on the 5 Saturn V engines. He would go on about gyros and cosigns and tangents and servos, and I would nod my head with glassy eyes, pretending I understood everything he was saying. LOL Of course we lost some time comparing liquid to solid rocket fuel, but we got there. Or did we? The Russians had Luna-15 in orbit the same time as Apollo 11. Luna-15 never made it home, but if it did the Russians would have had moon rocks back to earth before our guys, and would have no doubt proclaimed victory in the race to the moon.

Thanks. He was an unsung hero of the space race, but if you met him you would never have known it. He was the consummate hippie. He died this past Easter Sunday from a stroke. What bitter irony; the brain that contributed so much to our country wound up taking him out in the end. The world is a lesser place without him.

WE4B, KU4X and N2EY like this.
  4. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of that is likely due to the dismantling of America's educational system. In the 60s it was routine for high schoolers to be taught the basics of electronics and autos and stuff like that. Today kids just sit in a classroom and passively listen to teachers spewing ideological opinions. Students are told to parrot the teacher's POV on the tests to get an A. Then the kids go to university where this system is reinforced. So young adults have strong ideological opinions, but cannot use logic to defend and justify those opinions. They are taught to just "out-scream" the opposing side to "win". In the end, youths are incapable of independent thought, and thus find it impossible to comprehend how a guy in his garage could homebrew a radio (if they even know what a radio is) to receive radio signals from astronauts. (Meanwhile, Chinese students build MW transistor radios in their schooling, something Americans did in the 60s, but haven't done for decades.)

5. N2EY

IMHO, political infighting is what ultimately doomed the Soviet lunar efforts.

Sergei Korolev was brilliant, but spent years in the gulag because a rival denounced him. Only when the leadership realized that they needed him was Korolev released. Not only did they lose the years he spent in the gulag, but the time there damaged his health and ultimately shortened his life. And when released, he had to work with the very man who denounced him!

Had they simply allowed him to do the work, they might very well have beat us to the Moon. Remember, they were ahead of us until about 1966 or so, and the Apollo 1 fire caused NASA serious delay.

It is my understanding that the reason for the 30 engines on the N1 first stage was that they simply didn't have the technology to build bigger engines like the F1. Note that the Saturn V first stage is FIVE F1 engines!

If anyone visits Washington, DC, they should visit the Air and Space museum, to get an idea of how big an F1 really is - and how tiny a Mercury, Gemini or Apollo spacecraft (the parts the astronauts are in) really is.

Yes.

N2SUB likes this.
  6. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You're starting to sound like him. :D

N2EY likes this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All very interesting...but "few" remember Apollo 11? A heck of a lot of Boomer kids do. ;)

8. N2EY

A whole generation that doesn't know how to do things for themselves? Nope. Not at all.

Every generation produces some folks who are simply clueless about practical stuff. This isn't new at all; I saw it when I was in high school. Look around the Zed technical forums and note how clueless some folks are who are in their 50s/60s/70s and claim to know what they are doing.

I've seen too many young people who are really, really good at what they do to accept your generalization as valid.

There is no "educational system" in America. There are thousands of them, ranging from world-class to almost useless.

I graduated in high school in 1972 and they didn't teach us any of that. We were expected to learn that stuff on our own. Only the Vocational-Technical school kids learned that stuff. They usually went on to trade schools and/or apprenticeships and became electricians, plumbers, auto mechanics, carpenters and welders.

When's the last time you actually dealt with high school and middle school students? Because the ones I know aren't anything like what you describe.

AG6QR, W4NNF and KU4X like this.
  9. N2EY

Sure - but we make up less than 30% of the US population.

What a lot of folks forget today is how different the USA was back then - and how polarized and divided.

KJ4VTH likes this.
  10. N2EY

I'll take that as a compliment.

N2SUB likes this.