ad: AlphaRF-1

Apollo 11 Comms

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG7LEA, Jul 17, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is my understanding that the N1 used a lot of "small" engines. 30 engines in the first stage! Getting them all to work reliably was a losing proposition, particularly with all the complex plumbing and control needed.

The N1 was a rush job, too. The first N1 launch was Feb 1969; the first Saturn V launch was November 1967. The first Saturn 1 launch was in 1961

Sorry for your loss.

73 de jim, N2EY

2. N2EY

Consider the equipment used....and what it all cost.

If you haven't seen it, watch the movie "The Dish"....

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Even if the N1 had been workable, I don't think they'd have beaten us. Its first test flight was not until February 1969. The whole N1 project was a misbegotten mess short on time, talent, and support.

N2SUB and N2EY like this.
  4. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And if a frog had wings...

It didn't stand much a chance. Korolev dying didn't help, but there is nothing to say that he could have corrected the flaws that were of his own doing.

W4NNF likes this.
  5. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember reading a few years ago that a radio technician working for WHAS-AM, Louisville, found out which freqs the astronauts would be using for person-to-person VHF comms while on the Moon, and actually managed to build a receiver that could receive them. Not only that, he actually heard the astronauts, AND made a recording, which was verified by NASA, who were baffled as to how he could have received what were intended to be line of sight radio comms.

Since so few people alive remember Apollo 11, there is widespread belief in conspiracy theories that the whole mission was staged on a soundstage on Earth. That of course doesn't explain how the Russians never caught on, if it was true. The recordings referenced above are compelling evidence that Apollo 11 really DID go to the Moon. Too bad they're not more widely known.

6. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

New Zealand didn't have a satellite dish back then so we couldn't see it live. Australia had a receiving station so the NZ government considered it important enough to instruct the airforce to fly a plane to Australia and wait for the video (film?) and fly it back asap across the Tasman so we could see it that night.

I think the Australian receiving station was actually part of the whole operation.

7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

VK being on the far side of the Earth ;)

K8AI likes this.
  8. N2EY

Larry Baysinger.

However, I suspect he was listening to the downlink audio and not the suit radios.

The receive antenna he used was a home made dish.

9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but if thousands of people are lying about the conspiracy, fabricating photos, fabricating audio, fabricating video, etc., etc., then I doubt if anybody's going to be convinced about two more guys with their tape. If all those other people are lying, then these two guys are lying about their fabricated tape.

10. K4VBB

K4VBB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably right. We have a whole generation of people that don't know how to do things for themselves. It would be a lot to expect from them to believe that the generations that came before could not only fend for themselves with what they had, but actually prosper.

WZ7U and WD4IGX like this.