ad: elecraft

Apollo 11 Comms

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG7LEA, Jul 17, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting. I was born after all this happened. Been watching documentaries on pbs this week . Just amazing how it all evolved. The technology was incredible for the era.

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I'd rather not see an unsuccessful manned mission to Mars.

I think most folks have no idea of just how much more difficult it would be to send people to Mars than to the moon.

3. N2EY

Consider that most people today are too young to remember it. Only about 30% of Americans are 55 or older.

4. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ha Ha... very true... He'll be 58.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

5. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

So 70% are over age 55? Holy crap no wonder social security is gonna bust...you younguns need to work harder and longer

6. N2EY

Read what I wrote: "Only about 30% of Americans are 55 or older". That means 70% are younger.

7. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Math is hard

I'ma 13 wpm Extra...so that explains it

K8AI likes this.
  8. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

What I've never been able to understand is that we received live television pictures from the moon 50 years ago, but the local TV station can't get a consistent good signal from their traffic helicopter back to the studio today.

WZ7U and KJ4VTH like this.
  9. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And an incredible amount of luck. It came down to the Saturn V versus the N1. Had the N1 actually worked, the Russians would have beat us. They just couldn't get the thing to fly straight. :)

My late neighbor was a young upstart rocket engineer that worked on the Saturn V propulsion system with Von Braun. The stories he could tell about about his part in the space race. He was on the team that developed the gimbal system that ultimately made the Saturn V controllable; well, into a controllable explosion that is. I sure miss him.

KA2CZU likes this.
  10. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Are those bird yrs. , dog yrs. or human yrs. ;)