Apartment Living and Antenna's

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N8GBU, Jun 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KA6IBM

KA6IBM Ham Member QRZ Page

me too, but i set this up for a weekend, then have to take it down. mfj 1622 6 to 40 meters

[​IMG]

2. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect that an internet connection to a remote transceiver is the best solution in an assisted living home. Setting off smoke alarms and such will get a ham evicted, very likely. Even having ham radio gear in his room will put him under suspicion to be the cause of every electrical gremlin in the building. Fly low and stay under the radar OM.

AK5B likes this.
  3. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed, but the copper tape can be soldered to which is an advantage.

4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

True 'nuf. I ran the aluminum foil in an inverted U configuration: stapled up a far wall, then across the ceiling, then down the wall next to the operating position. Used a clip lead between the foil and L-network tuner.

5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're on an upper floor and the windows open, then you should be able to figure out some way to dangle a wire down. For inspiration, see this article:

http://www.arrl.org/news/i-love-field-day

I've had good success from hotels by dangling down an inverted vee from a balcony. Usually, I put the apex at the top of the balcony, and have one wire drape down each side. If you have two windows, you might try having part of the antenna inside, and part of it dangling from each window. You can generally let the antenna out when you're operating, and then take it back inside when you are done.

If there are trees nearby, then running an invisible wire from a window to one of them might be an option. If the antenna breaks, reel in the remaining portion to maintain deniability.