Apartment Living and Antenna's

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N8GBU, Jun 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

I regularly communicate with stations that use loaded whip antennas quite successfully on
    bands as low as 80M. A couple of ops both use Hustler antennas set up to provide significant
    antenna length (or height). Balcony rails or other metal are used as counterpoise.

These ops get out very well (strong signals at many hundreds of miles when NVIS conditions are
    appropriate). They do well despite relatively inefficient antennas because their apartments are
    well above ground level or well above surrounding terrain. Height is might.

AK5B and KK4NSF like this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I had experimented with several indoors antennas in a second floor apartment with varying degrees of success, which was always limited by RFI from a variety of sources within the building.

In frustration I ended up running 60' of #26 magnet wire out the window and over a tree in the parking area. Though far from invisible, it doesn't scream for visual attention. That, and 30' of the same type wire stapled around the apartment walls as a counterpoise are tuned with a little homebrew L-network.

I run only QRP CW and have plenty of contacts in the log. Most are not brag worthy, but enough are to keep the mystique and enthusiasm alive.

K3XR, KC3RN, AK5B and 3 others like this.
  3. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

100W to a STL close to everything, better be prepared to mitigate all kind of electronic disruptions everywhere in the apartment.
    One kW, you were joking, weren't you?
    Of course, if you do not need anything working but TX, fine, just do not stay closer than 3m to the STL.

Oliver

4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure I'd want to sit too close to a 1kw loop antenna..... I may want to have more children one day!

AK5B likes this.
  5. SWL37632

SWL37632 QRZ Member

Coincidently, yesterday afternoon I listened to a fellow on 20m who was using: Remotehams.com to have many QSO's.

He was using a remote ham set-up in Georgia and communicating through his PC and internet remotely, I think he was in Florida.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  6. N8YQM

N8YQM Ham Member QRZ Page

I used an MFJ box fan loop at my old apartment. Just set it out on the balcony, never had any complaints from the landlord. It wasn't weatherproof so it always had to be a temporary setup. Later on I used it when I lived in a HOA, still managed to talk to someone in Ukraine with it, so it wasn't too shabby.

AK5B likes this.
  7. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Copper foil tape. Be imaginative. Thing is you can paint over it after its up.

AK5B and WN1MB like this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used aluminum foil, too.

9. AB5GQ

AB5GQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

While that is true for large Jennings and Comets, many NOS Russian 5-100pf caps sell between $80 and $120 all the time (good sellers in Russia and the Ukraine on ebay; urals is one I've bought from before).

If you are a bit ambitious and comfortable with tools you could build a really good STL to set up outdoors or by a window, at least on a temporary basis where you are.

I've built a few over the last several years and have enjoyed plenty of dx solely on ssb. I do build mine for 500-650 watt capability, though---QRO helps out on the xmit end of things.

More info if you want...

Jeff

The Loopy Guy in South Texas

S21RC and PU2OZT like this.