Apache transmitters for sale

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by K9STH, Jul 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Taking advantage of Fred's edict that, after an official for sale thread has been started, announcement, discussion of the items, etc., can take place in this forum, I have placed an advertisement for 2-each Heath TX-1 Apache transmitters.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/heath-tx-1-apache-transmitters.666778/

I obtained them, along with an HX-10 Marauder transmitter, with the intention of restoring them and then selling the restored Apache transmitters. Unfortunately, I just have not had time to restore them. Then, about a week ago, I had a very minor heart attack (my very first even though I have had a quad CABG and 7-stents over the years). My cardiologist has forbidden me from handling the almost 100-pounds that each transmitter weighs.

Because of the weight, etc., they will have to be picked up in Richardson, Texas, on the north side of Dallas.

The cabinets definitely need repainting and the transmitters need a bit of cleaning. Frankly, I have not applied any AC power to them so I really don't know the electrical condition. A brief look doesn't show any major problems but, of course, such is not a really good idea of condition.

They are $100.00 each and, if they were parted out, worth a whole lot more. But, I don't have time to do such.

Anyway, if anyone is interested please take a look at the ad and we can go from there.

Glen, K9STH

2. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

I have already upgraded 2.5 (that's including a DX-100 :D) and have what I believe to be is a good set of upgrade schemats and procedures.

They are worth upgrading IMHO. :cool:

I hope they find a good home!

Pheel

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

OB:

A while back, I came up with a very simple modification for the Apache that I installed in the one that is on my Heath "original" twins operating desk. It consists of changing 3-capacitors and unplugging the 6AL5 clipper tube. After making the modification, I suddenly got "rave" reviews from some VERY critical AM operators who inhabited 3880 kHz every morning.

Here is the modification:

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/11...t so scratchy apache 1a.pdf?ver=1562269735917

I also have some service information on the DX-100 that was not commonly made available from Heath. I grew up 35-miles from the Heath plant on Hilltop Road in St. Joseph, Michigan (the mailing address was Benton Harbor but the actual plant was on the south side in St. Joseph). In high school, I used to drive up to the plant to "drool over" the products that were on display in a room just to the left after you entered the main door.

Heath was always willing to provide someone to answer questions about any of their products and that person was often the head of the design team. He (it was always a "he") would often draw a schematic on a piece of paper outlining some modification to improve the operation. Then, he would go back, into the plant, and come back a few minutes later with a paper sack containing all of the parts needed to make the modification. No charge!

Several times, I was handed copies of internal documents that often were not really made public. Several years ago, I scanned all of those documents and compiled them into a PDF that is available on my website. Here is the URL for that information:

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/11.../Heathkit_DX-100_mods-1.pdf?ver=1562269735917

Glen, K9STH

N6YW likes this.
  4. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Here are some suggested Modifications with schematics I have made to Apache's and DX-100's.

Pheel

Attached Files:

W1TRY likes this.