ad: Schulman-1

AO-92 safe mode - what gives?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by N6MST, Sep 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't look good right now.

It is possible that as we move from summer to fall and winter in the Northern Hemisphere, the satellite will see more sunlight and have less time in eclipse. That might be enough to allow the satellite to resume normal operations. AMSAT hasn't said anything more about this, other than the announcement I posted above from yesterday.

2. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi!

Earlier this morning, AMSAT put AO-92 back into transponder mode. KO4MA announced this on Twitter:

KO4MA-20200904.jpg

As AO-92 moved away from North America, the battery voltage was already down to 3.61V.

AO92-20200904.jpg

Over the past several hours, it looks like the battery voltage had been dropping below 3.6V:

AO92_battery-20200904.jpg

It appears the voltage was staying above 3.6V longer in the past few hours than around the same period yesterday, but the voltage was still dropping below 3.6V.

The timestamp on the AO-92 status above - 1546 UTC - is just before noon on the US east coast. AO-92 would be in sunlight. It is worrying to see the lower battery voltage, when the solar panels are seeing sunlight.

3. N0JY

N0JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It was my request to Ops that put -92 in Safe Mode. I wanted to collect telemetry of the conditions without the transmitter and experiments active. Battery voltage, MPPT current, temperature are some of the data that might fill in for the limited BATT system telemetry. A high level look at the history like others have commented here is what got us on the topic of going to Safe Mode for a deeper look. If anyone wants to spend some time with data from the server in FoxTelem in order to provide another set of analyzing eyes, I can share information on the environment and systems interaction that drove me to want to have a look. Please only if you are willing to spend some time digging into the data, as I said the top layer of information you have all noticed is what we already know - but the team is focused on GOLF as is priority so useful information from analysis might come sooner with more help. In this it is not about whether to worry, I often tell folks that worrying does not do anything but cloud your ability to do something. It's about understanding the situation in order to apply proper remedies if possible, and learn from it in any case.
    Thanks!

WK4LR, AA5PK and KA0HCP like this.
  4. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

It's sad to see AMSAT just 'write off' AO-92 in this manner and tell people that they can do the research for the impeding failure... shouldn't the AMSAT engineering team be doing that? What has AMSAT learned from what is occurring with AO-92? What did AMSAT learn from AO-95? How about HO-107?

I guess like with AO-95, there won't be a published failure analysis of AO-92. That's a shame. AMSAT members deserve to know what is happening to AMSAT satellites and what is learned from all of these 'incidents'. AMSAT shouldn't be rushing for a GOLF satellite until it understands why satellites are prematurely failing.

When a VP of Engineering, who isn't even an engineer, states there's no need to worry... there's definitely a need to worry. I'll save someone else from saying it, space is hard. No doubt about it but most organizations that work in space learn from failures. I'll ask again, what has AMSAT learned? Why is there such a rush for GOLF when the most recent AMSAT cubesats have either not worked or have failed prematurely?

So, there you have it folks... there's nothing to see here... we will get the standard "space is hard" speech and no failure analysis. This is absolutely pathetic but the MO totally is in line with how AMSAT is currently operated by a group of people who view it as a clubhouse. LibreSpace and Open Research Institute are doing amazing things. It's a shame that, as an AMSAT member, I can't say the same about AMSAT.

AO-92 was a cool satellite. It's a shame it's dying. I beg of those in charge at AMSAT to please not rush to launch anything else until we totally understand what failures we have seen with the latest group of AMSAT cubesats.

WK4LR, KP4SX, K6CLS and 2 others like this.
  5. KL7IBV

KL7IBV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not good, especially if it does it without even turning on the repeaters.
    de KL7IBV

6. VE4MM

VE4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

I started sats September 2019 and lucky I could work AO85 and AO95 before they called it quits.

Now AO92.............................sad.

WK4LR likes this.
  7. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

AO-95 never worked after being placed into orbit.

8. VE4MM

You maybe correct.

I just have 4 notebooks with over 2000 sat QSO's. Maybe I just heard it. Don't remember. Have to look.

9. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

... After launch, we would go to the park to listen for Veronica? And the battery voltage. Thrilling. But yeah, very tough to make QSOs. Darn

10. VE4MM

I worked ve7cew exactly 1 year ago today. 10/13/19 IMG_6219.JPG

WD9EWK likes this.