AO-92 safe mode - what gives?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by N6MST, Sep 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

I was ready to make some sweet sweet FM contacts when AO-92 came over but all I heard was a woman's voice (who I now know is named Veronica) saying "Fox 1 delta, safe mode" over and over.

What is this?? I need grids!

2. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Battery problem ... please search for messages on this from command team.

PA3RMM likes this.
  3. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AO-92 has been experiencing low battery voltage during many night time passes over the last several weeks.

While the satellite is in eclipse voltage has been dropping low enough (3.6v IIRC) to cause an automatic shift to safe mode. It emerges from eclipse toward the end of night passes over North America and the transponder will then switch on, usually with a minute or two remaining in the pass. As we move to winter in the northern hemisphere, the end of the eclipse should shift over the pole and to the beginning of the descending part of the orbit, and this issue should change for at least the northern hemisphere ops.

[ANS thanks Andrew Glasbrenner, KO4MA, AMSAT VP Operations, and Nate White, N5LEX, for the above information]

4. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the passes this morning on the east coast was the same. It was in safe mode until about 1/3rd of the way through the pass and then it automatically switched to transponder mode. If you hear the safe mode beacon, the pass could still be productive.

5. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Not right now. According to Drew KO4MA a couple of hours ago on Twitter, AO-92 will be in safe mode for at least 24 hours.

KO4MA_tweet.jpg

Along with the new cross-band voice repeater on the ISS, there are a few other FM satellites available for grid hunting. Hopefully AO-92 only needs a break, and can get back to normal operation soon.

73!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  6. N6MST

AO-91 came over about 80 degrees 10 minutes after AO-92 left and I made a number of calls. This is my third day on satellites and this stuff is too much fun!

Thanks for all the info, guys. I appreciate it!

WD9EWK likes this.
  7. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Battery life over the last few hours. Noticeable increase starting earlier this afternoon (likely coinciding with Safe Mode command):

Screenshot from 2020-09-02 15-44-23.png

8. VE4MM

VE4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

Same for me tonight. Sept 2/2020 at 9PM CST. Strange. MM

9. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Still in safe mode this morning...

AO92.jpg

Looks like the batteries aren't holding up, even in safe mode for the past day or so...

AO-92_battery.jpg

Voltage is dropping below 3.6V, the point where the satellite automatically switches into safe mode, even with the repeater off.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  10. N6MST

I know I am new to all this, but this seems bad.